5D Mark II vs Mark III on Aliasing and Moire in RAW video

Started by EXIV, November 06, 2013, 12:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EXIV

Hi there, here we go with some final conclusions. Months ago I have decided to sell my old 5D Mark II and buy a Mark III, in order to avoid that damned Aliasing and Moire effects. There is a massive difference between the result you achieve from the two cameras, as you can see from the example posted below. Both the video have been shot on RAW and then up-scaled in roughly 4K.

The first one, shot on the Mark II, is clearly affected by strong aliasing and moire effects, which really damage the beauty of the shots.

The second one, shot on a Mark III, it's perfectly clean and aliasing/moire free.

The obvious conclusion is that the Canon 5D mark III really stands out in terms of quality, sharpness and beauty of the image, but more importantly, being able to deliver aliasing/moire free videos it makes its predecessor Mark II totally obsolete.

Midphase

Not sure if I'd say the 5D2 is totally obsolete, but I do think that so far the only camera where the ML raw is fully realized is the 5D3. Rolling shutter is still an issue, but besides that, the IQ on the footage gets very close to what an Alexa can output, and IMHO outshines what I have seen come off the BMCC sensor.

FYI, there is a conversation going on right now about aliasing and line skipping right here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9155.0

ultimatemale

Apart from the aliasing/moire they both look sharp judging by YOUR test. The only way to judge which has a better image quality was if you had shot the same thing side by side (although i am well aware the 5D3 has a better image quality). You can't shoot people with one camera and shoot trees with the other and decide to make a judgement based on that  :D

EXIV

Quote from: ultimatemale on November 06, 2013, 06:57:06 PM
Apart from the aliasing/moire they both look sharp judging by YOUR test. The only way to judge which has a better image quality was if you had shot the same thing side by side (although i am well aware the 5D3 has a better image quality). You can't shoot people with one camera and shoot trees with the other and decide to make a judgement based on that  :D

Yeah, I understand your point, and it's true, nothing is better than a side by side comparison. But honestly, I think this is also a valid way to compare the result of the two cameras, as if your eye notices a difference between the two means there is a difference, while if it doesn't, it means that the difference is not relevant enough.

nikki

i just want to comment that I kept my 5dm2 because of the fact it doesn't have an olph in some shooting situations that is a plus!

Midphase

Quote from: EXIV on November 06, 2013, 12:36:36 PM
The obvious conclusion is that the Canon 5D mark III really stands out in terms of quality, sharpness and beauty of the image, but more importantly, being able to deliver aliasing/moire free videos it makes its predecessor Mark II totally obsolete.

I don't really get the point of this post. The word "duh" seems to be the appropriate reaction to reading it.