Questions on the Canon video codec

Started by tubecamera, May 09, 2014, 07:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubecamera

First off, can I assume the codec used on my Canon 60D is the same as that used in the Canon Mark 5D series?

If so, according to Wiki the HD bitrate (for the 5D) is 38 megabits per second but I believe this is way higher than the SD card can handle or am I mistaken?

Please enlighten me. Looking for more information on what the specs are for the recording of HD video on my 60D.

Thanks!

Audionut

tubecamera

Thank you for the lead : )

According to what it says my QT files (prior to installing ML) seem to average 48.1 Mbps. That seems quite high.

Mostly nature shots on that card. Nothing with fast motion save for some moving waters shots.

What I do not see is the bit depth listed but I believe this is recording as 4:2:0 is that correct?

ItsMeLenny

for PAL in 1920x180 on a 550D (so @ 25fps)

Video:
H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)
Planar 4:2:0 YUV full scale

Content bit-rate is variable, but it can hit
+50000 kb/s = ~50mb/s
which I believe that is megabytes per second,
not megabits.
Max write speed on 550D is 21 megabits/s
Divide by 8 (?) means video is being captured @
6.25 megabits per second. <------------

Audio:
PCM S16 LE
48000 Hz
16 bits per sample

Audionut

Quote from: tubecamera on May 09, 2014, 10:09:22 PM
What I do not see is the bit depth listed but I believe this is recording as 4:2:0 is that correct?

The bit depth is 8.

And the Chroma subsampling is 4:2:0.

Exo

Max write speed on 550D SD controller by default is 21 megabytes/s. Like 60D and 5D3= 21MB/s = 168 megabits/s. Cause 1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b).

Try this tool: http://www.beesky.com/newsite/bit_byte.htm.

ItsMeLenny

Did I have my calculations backwards?

Probably.

Audionut

It would be significantly helpful (to this maths idiot anyway), if they stuck to 1 single definition.

MB, Mb, divide by 8.  ???

Why not, the camera records at 21MB/s, and the card can write at 30MB/s.  Simple!  Probably the same reason why HDDs only have 1000 bytes in a kilobyte, when they should have 1024.  Or is that a MS thing!  I'm so confused  ???

The entire thing is a joke really.

Exo

"The entire thing is a joke really".

Not 4 bees, i can tell you!

Audionut

And I thought bees only cared about pollination.   :o :P