Apertus Axiom Beta

Started by Andy600, May 09, 2014, 01:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothaibaphoto

They definitely should hire A1ex (and maybe not just A1ex but all core ML team) to get best looking picture out of this hardware. First of all he willing to do it himself. Next, ML community brings them a lot of supporters. Last, but not least - it's probably not to much people in open source with experience in this field.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on October 06, 2014, 07:49:14 AM
They definitely should hire A1ex (and maybe not just A1ex but all core ML team) to get best looking picture out of this hardware. First of all he willing to do it himself. Next, ML community brings them a lot of supporters. Last, but not least - it's probably not to much people in open source with experience in this field.

Whilst a1ex and the other ML core developers are very talented at what they do (and also pull the best image possible from the canon hardware), it seems like you're under the impression that the axiom team is a bunch of monkeys in a basement :P (note: I have no problem if any of them want to identify as a monkey)
I'd have no objection to them hiring anybody that they like, however they too are professionals and possibly have a videophile/imagephile already on board, and if they didn't then I am unsure why they decided to build a camera if none of them have an interest in videography.

vicnaum

That's all great. The only downside I see is the image sensor size...

They all say that Super35 is film-industry standard, blah-blah... - Yes!...

BUT!

Industry is using Anamorphic optics with 2x anamorph coefficient. Making this Super35 TWICE as wide optically.
e.g. Cinemascope is 21.95mm wide, but after anamorph it "gets" - 43.9mm!
And that's even wider than 5dmk3.

Of course you can use $50K industry-standard anamorphic optics, but... why not just use RED or ALEXA then?
But if you can't afford true anamorph, and you're just low-budget DIY indie filmmaker - then you need a LARGE sensor with spherical optics, and crop it.

That's what I think... It needs to be going large!
But I hope it will.. In the next commercial release.

bart

Hi Alex and Georg,

Very interesting project. I hope the Axiom guys know how lucky they are to get you both into the project.
And I'm just in time to grab a nice T-shirt.

I wish you all good luck and trust you get the best out of this more competitive camera.

budafilms

@vicnaum

It´s the same for 5D,you can use anamorphic 2x lenses and duplicate the sensor size!

a1ex

Yay, thanks everybody and congratulations to the Apertus team!

Quote from: surami
I pushed a1ex's "image02-fpnfix-hilite.DNG" in ACR and graded in AE + added some grain:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g7lfrm7ccc1g063/AADHVFTBhcOT9MpHwQBNCCwfa?dl=0

I like the result. You have used pretty strong denoising on chroma, right?

chmee

@vicnaum sorry, thats contradictory.
QuoteIndustry is using Anamorphic optics..
All of them? No. Most of them? No. Some of them? Yes. Only them, who can afford? Yes. And Yes, @budafilms said, use a 5DIII with anamorph its even wider than your "industries choice". (but it never changes the real resolution of a sensor)
Quote.. use RED or ALEXA then..
is there a built-in anamorph? and what uses red as sensor? do you think they re all on the newest dragon-sensor? Arri Alexa? 4:3 35mm sized sensor? where s the industry-choice?
QuoteIt needs to be going large!..
no.

seems like a outburst of emotions. ;)

@Sebastian i remember this design of modular blocks. is it still on your agenda? is this the gamma?

and bytheway: i often work with protected hdmi-plugs (on barco c5 ledwall fi) - it makes sense to use something like that (neutrik), hdmi is such a sensitive consumer graded port/connector.. (cablearmour is a good idea as well, but not really weathersealed)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Sebastian

Quote from: chmee on October 06, 2014, 10:24:11 AM
@Sebastian i remember this design of modular blocks. is it still on your agenda? is this the gamma?
Yes that is on the roadmap for the AXIOM Gamma.
The AXIOM Beta will also be modular with swappable IO shields. But changing modules will be a bit less convenient here - not something you want to do on a daily basis. On the other hand you will not need different outputs every day anyway :)

surami

Quote from: a1exI like the result. You have used pretty strong denoising on chroma, right?
Yes, here are the ACR settings, I didn't touch the other tabs. I'm sure that similar settings in UFRaw can be done (I don't know that program), so we could get flat DNGs, but at first the best solution for FPN & pink/purple corrections have to be done somehow. As I see your & other ML developers' & Axiom team's knowledge it will be solved quite fast.

550D + nightly ML

a1ex

Another neat trick that can be done with a high-fps sensor, even if the final output has a low fps: temporal antialiasing filter.

Other companies did it in a different way, but the end result would be pretty similar:
http://tessive.com/time-control-faq/
http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/cinema-temporal-aliasing

and it was discussed here as well:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5074
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8555.msg82898#msg82898

I'm going to implement this in ML for timelapse, with these functions. It will probably drain the battery pretty fast (because the sensor will be capturing light all the time), but it should give a very nice motion blur. Didn't try, but the theory makes sense.

This is also possible in post, but not practical (you would have record at say 300 fps and transcode to 24).

Fioritura

Thanks for the links a1ex! I especially liked the second article.

"[...] a soft global shutter pushes the limits of what is possible with motion capture, and effectively overcomes many of the traditional trade-offs. Cinematographers ordinarily have to choose between using a lower shutter angle and achieving sharper stills, for example, or using a higher shutter angle and achieving smoother motion. A soft global shutter can achieve both simultaneously.
The end result is a more natural and robust representation of motion that makes the most of a given frame rate. Everything else being equal, panning and motion blur will therefore appear smoother. [...]" [http://bit.ly/1xW0BoV]

Wow! Amazing things to come :-)

Fioritura

Just followed up on the links to other ML-forums, and the Tessive dead-end. This is (another reason) why the open camera project will be a godsend! :-)

Walter Schulz

If backers keep it up like last hours Apertus may have to open 4th batch ...

Kharak

Congratulations! Was looking dim 10 days ago!

once you go raw you never go back

kitor

Less than $1k for remote control, still possible 10k more for active EF mount. Keep your fingers crossed :)
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Walter Schulz

It's not the question if EF mount goal is possible. If Apertus comes up with a 4th Super35 batch the run for battery goal is on. And beyond, maybe.
I'm absolute surprised about the fundings running in. We're at about 10k€/d = >400€/h

dude

Gratulation, bin gespannt!

Fioritura

New rendering of the remote controller:

https://plus.google.com/+ApertusOrg/posts/PRjQfKAX9qM

Very nice, and a bit more compact.

menoc

Looks like the the remote and the active canon mounts will be funded . . .

g3gg0

€120,000 - Active Canon EF Mount

reached :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Canon eos m

Goals met :-)
Now time for some action.
Only 204 days left to release the 1st batch!
We will cheering you along and counting.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Walter Schulz

Battery goal not met ... yet

mothaibaphoto

Battery is easy DIY project. Now storage solution other than expensive proprietary HDMI is main concern for me.

g3gg0

when in doubt, stick a RC car battery onto it :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Walter Schulz

4th batch is there. Now let's see if Apertus will come up with an 140.000 Euro goal to make the finish a little bit more challenging.