Apertus Axiom Beta

Started by Andy600, May 09, 2014, 01:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aombk

mothaibaphoto, you got me. there probably isnt one. but what is your point? that you wont be able to use the camera to its full potential once it is released? thats not news you know...

Walter Schulz

Just found something on campaign's web site:
perk "AXIOM Beta Super35, 3rd batch". 99 due June 2015.

Yes, keep 'em coming ...

EDIT: About 25 "Axiom Beta Super35" perks came in last 24 hours. That's quite remarkable, I think! Cassandra-mode dormant now.

Canon eos m

Yay  ;)!

I really like how the ML logo is on top of the heap ... it is where it deserves to be ... the king.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Fioritura

2nd super-35 batch pledged out. Still 99 to go on the 3d batch :-)

PressureFM

Shame I don't have 2300+ laying around right now.

They should have run the campaign over 2 months instead of one.

g3gg0

i dont know if there are some constraints regarding campaign duration, fees and other annoying stuff.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Walter Schulz

Sorry, don't understand, PressureFM!

You have to pay 350 Euro now to opt for such a perk and have to add 2300+ (may change up/down) in April, Mai or June 2015 to get a very basic body which will need additional hardware to be usable as movie came. And it's called Beta for a cause, I think. And you don't have to have 2300+.
Of course you can stay back and opt out. You donated 350 Euros then. Or try to sell your perk, then.

And I pretty much hope all participants understand "we're not there yet".

Therefore I don't understand in which way a campaign running 2 months will change things for you.

mothaibaphoto

With 3rd batch Active Canon EF Mount will come true.
One more batch for SATA 3.0 !!!

Fioritura

Cool overview of the state of the project 1-1/2 years ago: https://www.apertus.org/node/124

Canon eos m

€83,336EUR
RAISED OF €100,000 GOAL
83%  7 days left

Good night ppl!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

funkysound

Mhm ...nice thing - if you have a few thousand laying around and want to make big movies.
If I remember it right ML was supposed to "make a 500,-$ camera worth a few thousand $ camera" like one person said at the beginning and it started with a cam like the EOS 50d.
Since a few month everything fells like "let´s make a 5000,- $ or more camera ruin Hollywood" - this started with the 5dmark3 / raw ...
I don´t know but my impression is that the spirit of Ml got totaly lost - no new official version since ... anyway - a loooong time ... But mainly a great work on the top cam 5d3.
90% of the 5d owners I know - especial the profesional ones don´t use it even if they got it - and I know a few. RAW? Too much waste of time for them. If realy needed for a client they rent a propper cam because the budget is there.
Anyway - ML is a great thing and the Apertus Axiom idea is too - but the cams who really need ML know how (650d, 700d, EOSM, ...) are for shure not realy in focus since month.
It´s more like: It would be nice if someone cares for them too because we are more concentrating on making the "state of the art" cams to the "super state of the art" cams. And in reallity it´s not used like the ML team might think.
My guess: The Apertus Axiom Beta will not really become "the one" because there are just not enough people who need it and there will be not enough marketing and especial service power against Canon, Nikon, Sony, ... - but one or the other ML programmer may get good offers from the industrie.
Don´t get me wrong - I say thanks for all the great work in the past and I wish you all the best - it helped me to make my film business work with affordable equipment and lifted me to a higher level - but it seems to be over for youngsters who want to start now.
Or do you really think they got enough money for a Apertus Axiom + proper lenses + ...? Defenitly no!
ML was a good idea - but I´m afraid in the future mainly for the (maybe new) industrie. Like usual for growing ideas like ML is.

UPDATE:
Walter Schulz just wrote that ML was started for the 5d/2 and not for the cheap Canons like I wrote - ok, if it is so I had a wrong impression when I realized ML first time. Sorry for that one!
But I still think the real thing that made ML interessting for a uge amount of people (and upcoming professionals) was and also would be in the future to "make a 500,-$ cam worth a 5000,-$ cam". A great idea that did work and made the industrie sweat.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

Walter Schulz

You got your premise wrong:
Magic Lantern was programmed in 2009 by Trammel Hudson for the EOS 5D Mark II. Body was priced $ 2,699, € 2,499, £ 2,299 when introduced.

You may revise your post.

nikfreak

Quote from: funkysound on October 03, 2014, 04:11:36 AM
Anyway - ML is a great thing and the Apertus Axiom idea is too - but the cams who really need ML know how (650d, 700d, EOSM, ...) are for shure not realy in focus since month.
It´s more like: It would be nice if someone cares for them too because we are more concentrating on making the "state of the art" cams to the "super state of the art" cams. And in reallity it´s not used like the ML team might think.
My guess: The Apertus Axiom Beta will not really become "the one" because there are just not enough people who need it and there will be not enough marketing and especial service power against Canon, Nikon, Sony, ... - but one or the other ML programmer may get good offers from the industrie.

a1ex said it now several times. He hopes to find a way to pay his bills so he has more time to contribute to ML.
As an example I just remember the days where CyanogenMod founder Steve Kondik has been hired by Samsung to work with them. Some time later he decided to leave Samsung again and cyanogenmod Inc was born. Theres also the "ONE" a phone by Canogenmod Inc. In all that time development never stopped for Android phones. Once Google pushed out a new Android version all the goodies from old versions were merged asap into a new cynogenmod version. This was possible because there is  are much more contributors. And that's what lacks for ML development: contributors, device maintainers etc...

As said earlier the Cyanogenmod story comes into my mind when thinking of Apertus. The campaign in Indiegogo will successfully reach its end. Afterwards devs will come together and do some stuff. Some of you might be concerned about ML development. But time will tell what happens. This is going to be fun here once the first 7D Mark2 owners pop up here and ask for a build. Armv6 cpus have to be supported. I also seen that electronic viewfinders will be used in EOS 750D. So lots of fun to pop up here. Why not join the party and learn the basic skills around ML development?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

budafilms

I´ve made my donate. I think A1ex should go and create an AXIOM ML Camera or sth like that for less money than super pro level. An standard model for 1000 Euros. It´s an idea. I will miss him ;)

funkysound

Quote from: budafilms on October 03, 2014, 10:54:58 AM
I´ve made my donate. I think A1ex should go and create an AXIOM ML Camera or sth like that for less money than super pro level. An standard model for 1000 Euros. It´s an idea. I will miss him ;)

I agree on this one - there would be a uge interest all over the world.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

funkysound

Quote from: nikfreak on October 03, 2014, 08:38:08 AM
a1ex said it now several times. He hopes to find a way to pay his bills so he has more time to contribute to ML.

I know and I always hoped he/they will find a way.
I also thought it would be better to charge little money for ML so he and the others would be able to pay the bills - than suffering and not beeing able to work on ML the way they would like to.
Whatever critics I wrote and will write - still: Thanks to a1ex and all the others for this great work. they offered for free!

Canon eos m

Wonder why Alex is tied down to the reverse engineering way of doing things.
He is so creative that given the time and funds he can create original magic 10X better.
Would love to see him succeed and do well.

Canon eos m

€86,993EUR
RAISED OF €100,000 GOAL
87%  6 days left

Walter I think they will land safely. But I am wondering how they will sustain interest in this project in the long term with the 16mm and 4/3rd not selling at all.

A constant dynamic range of 14+ will be the only interest factor that I can think of. 

nikfreak

Quote from: Canon eos m on October 03, 2014, 01:27:39 PM
But I am wondering how they will sustain interest in this project in the long term with the 16mm and 4/3rd not selling at all.

Don't worry as long as we bring up a new topic and make it sticky at least ML users will always be aware of the project.

QuoteCountdown to April 2015 - planned delivery
200 days left

Wooooops new launch / delivery date November 2015
300 days left

And don't forget! After the beta campaign we need a new thread for the Gamma and place countdowns in there cause everybody wanting the beta would want a better cam than the Beta. meanwhile I would want to create a new thread for QC where we countdown days left to receive a replacement delivery cause each and every manufacturer had quality issues when bringing out a new cam.....

Guys I am just kind of joking but on one side....

chmee

Sorry. ~3.000euro is cheap for "superprolevel". This time its the ability being part of it, creating some cool devices.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

g3gg0

we are not saying:
> this is good, you have to help no matter what.

we are saying:
> we love the project and idea, want to become a part of it not just because it helps us understanding camera internals.
> so if you ever wanted to donate to Magic Lantern, do us a favor and help them.

Magic Lantern is not about making cheap cameras video-monsters so people can sell their service with much less financial effort.
its about the vision of getting things out of your camera that you never expected. "unleashing" the fury the hardware offers.

so if you think the same and want us ML developers to help in being constructive and creative on the next level, feel free to support us.
we really appreciate the strong and loyal userbase we established over years.

in my opinion, if we put some spare time into axiom beta, even magic lantern will benefit a lot.
just imagine that two different camera systems are built on top of an unified toolchain. think about Dual ISO and MLV establishing and evolving.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

swinxx

one things which came up in my mind when i read that lines:

- too bad for canon, cause new users would not buy a canon camera anymore, for filming porpose.

what makes me a little bit confused is that a1ex wrote somewhere that he thinks to leave the video side of magic lantern, so why is there such an euphoric interest in a video camera? i do not quite understand it..

however, if! the cam will ever hit the market and the ml team is involved in the software/hardware side from the very beginning, i think this will be a big blackmagic cinema or even arri or red rival.

however, i am curious about it :)

nikfreak

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 03, 2014, 03:49:33 PM
just imagine that two different camera systems are built on top of an unified toolchain. think about Dual ISO and MLV establishing and evolving.

Now that would be awesome. Btw what OS is Axiom going to use? Some kind of RTOS or even linux?

a1ex

Quote from: swinxx on October 03, 2014, 04:00:24 PM
what makes me a little bit confused is that a1ex wrote somewhere that he thinks to leave the video side of magic lantern, so why is there such an euphoric interest in a video camera? i do not quite understand it..

- as you already know, some people took my video-related work and sold it for their own profit, ignoring the GPL license (which was the biggest motivation killer)
- this is an open source camera (more exactly, a development kit) - why limit it to video? (sure, the Beta is clearly video-oriented, but it's open, maybe somebody will create a configuration optimized for stills, who knows)
- do you know any open source camera designed for still photos?
- do you expect me to develop one from scratch?
- I see this as a possible replacement for my job (now it's OK, but I'm looking for something better), so it might not be just a spare-time project for me personally (and I don't mind developing video tools to pay the bills, and still photography as a hobby)

menoc

Well, I just put in my two cents worth. It is now at €88,723 . . .