Apertus Axiom Beta

Started by Andy600, May 09, 2014, 01:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: a1ex on September 27, 2014, 01:27:33 PM
That's really impressive. You mean, it can get 840fps at 1080p lines, and 1900 fps at 480 lines?!

I am not sure if there is any additional limiting factor (like FOT) or if its just max fps = max_lines/read_lines * 300 FPS @10bit

But the increase should be almost linear (it was that way with the Aptina CMOS in Elphel cameras)

update: And yes, just because the sensor can provide those crazy frames per second rate does not mean we can output them. Processing them seems a much more likely option as the entire image pipeline in the AXIOM Alpha already runs in 4K@60FPS and we only downsize in the very last step for the HDMI port which can't handle 4K on the Zedboard.

a1ex

If it can process the frames at this speed, I'm sold. I'm not that much into video, but I'm interested in this research, and this device seems a very good choice. If somebody adds a viewfinder to it, I'll probably use it as a walk-around camera.

Now I think it's time for the ML community to jump in.

So far, 3 developers have expressed their interest in Axiom (g3gg0, baldand and me), so I think it's time to ask ML users - will you help us buy a few Axiom BETAs?

All you need to do is to help Apertus' indiegogo campaign for us, with any amount, and spread the word:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axiom-beta-the-first-open-digital-cinema-camera/x/692033

(yes, they accept PayPal)

And no, this doesn't mean we'll leave the Canon world. On the contrary - we'll get the chance to play with a documented camera that doesn't require reverse engineering, and learn a lot of stuff that we are currently guessing!

Thanks!

chmee

I already put 350 into the campaign To get my own Axiom beta. This Is really opensource.. (and now there are no excuses for me to step up/down to c++ ;))
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

KurtAugust

Do you want a message with that? I guess I can donate some more.
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

a1ex

Not sure what you mean, but spreading the word is probably the best contribution one could make, in my opinion.

And you are right - if every ML user would donate just 1 EUR, the campaign goal would be reached in no time.

romainmenke

donated! and shared, read about it when it was in alpha, hope you guys have fun with it!

KurtAugust

Alex, I'm sorry. I mean a message accompanying the PayPal donation, so they know it's coming from the ML supporters and should be used to get you guys a Beta. It would be nice if it all adds up being a nice developers perk. No harm in that, better than an anonymous donation and more constructive than a lot of "buttons" or "karma"

Canon eos m

I am in too. Will donate and block one of those Beta's for myself. Hope this will help promote the cause of the first real open source device ever. History in making ... And I want to be a part  ;) :) :)

Edit: which model should I go for? Also, do I have to mention that I am ML supporter?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

a1ex

Quote from: KurtAugust on September 28, 2014, 07:29:19 AM
I mean a message accompanying the PayPal donation, so they know it's coming from the ML supporters and should be used to get you guys a Beta. It would be nice if it all adds up being a nice developers perk.

Ah, yes, a comment would be nice (here, or in the indiegogo page).

Thanks all!

Danne

Canon eos m

Apologies did not read the entire listing before promising to commit to the cause. I thought the entire investment will be just Euro 350 but the actual price is 2.6 Kilo Euro.  :P

This is steep for me. So I will just contribute whatever I can and wish all the good luck to the developers.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

kitor

Quote from: Canon eos mI thought the entire investment will be just Euro 350 but the actual price is 2.6 Kilo Euro.  :P
Well, that was kind of obvious that it can't cost less than entry leven canon dslr :P
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

KurtAugust

Donation made.

(Let them keep the button)

Canon eos m

Quote from: kitor on September 28, 2014, 09:57:18 AM
Well, that was kind of obvious that it can't cost less than entry leven canon dslr :P

I guess they call this stretching ones luck  ;)

shambhu66

I just donated EUR 15.00 and indicated in the comments that the money is to be used to help ML developers buy an Axiom Beta.

sanderbontje

A friend of mine and I have both backed an Axiom Beta camera in the campaign.

I expect to be able to help a lot with testing. I have been a fan of Magic Lantern for years and I am very pleased to hear that these two great projects are joining forces!

@Sebastian: Regarding the max fps, is the Axiom's max 60fps out a limitation of the HDMI controller only? In other words, would adding another IO-shield with for instance SDI be an option to reach higher framerate output? Or is the imaging pipeline on Zedboard a limiting factor in this too, capped at 60fps?

Sebastian

Many thanks for all the received donations! I really hope together with you we can get the campaign to a successful end!

Quote from: sanderbontje on September 29, 2014, 09:35:32 AM
@Sebastian: Regarding the max fps, is the Axiom's max 60fps out a limitation of the HDMI controller only? In other words, would adding another IO-shield with for instance SDI be an option to reach higher framerate output? Or is the imaging pipeline on Zedboard a limiting factor in this too, capped at 60fps?

Its a limit of the HDMI output, also note that its 60FPS PER port, so if we run the 3 HDMI ports in alternating frame mode we can actually get 180FPS in 1080p.

And yes different IO shields in the future might be able to go much higher with FPS, 3G-SDI (SMPTE 424M) though is also limited to 1080p60 but 6G-SDI might be an option (also dual link maybe), or direct PCIe - we will see what the future brings.

Walter Schulz

10 days to go and still 37 percent away from goal.
I don't feel very confident with these numbers and don't want to see this project missing it's goal.

What about more marketing by ML team?
- No link/info on download page or on ML's homepage (Twitter aside). Easy to implement and should make those people happy wanting to donate to ML team.
- Quite a small article on Slashcam with not that much emphasis about money. What about other sites (Cinema5D, DPreview, Lens Rentals + myriad others) that covered ML in some way or another?

My 2 cents for now. Have to check bank account and make some calculations ... yes, haven't donated yet.

g3gg0

about the frame rate, i am sure we can get beyond the specified limits.
but the frame rate does definitely not scale (inverse) linear with the number of pixel lines.

exposing and reading out the sensor is split in a few separate tasks, of which some are not related to the pixel count.
first you have to discharge the sensels by asserting some circuitry, then you have to start exposure by releasing the discharge line.
discharging is important, else you will get a lot more noise, or even integrate over time.
exposing the sensels can be reduced by increasing ISO (amplification) or providing more light.

reading out is the bottleneck for huge sensor areas, usually the width doesnt matter that much, the window height is the most expensive.

i am very interested in getting something like MLV ported to your Axiom platform, making it a "common" open source standard for raw video.
especially high fps modes raised my attention :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 29, 2014, 03:54:45 PM
What about more marketing by ML team?
- No link/info on download page or on ML's homepage (Twitter aside). Easy to implement and should make those people happy wanting to donate to ML team.
- Quite a small article on Slashcam with not that much emphasis about money. What about other sites (Cinema5D, DPreview, Lens Rentals + myriad others) that covered ML in some way or another?

green from my side, we should push it a bit more aggressive.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Canon eos m

Green from me too. We could put the information out on our Flickr accounts or whatever we individually subscribe to.

I was thinking of taking a still from the Axiom page and putting it on my Flickr account asking people to contribute as much as they can since the clock is ticking faster and faster ... Can hear my heart beat as I type this message ...

Edit: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axiom-beta-the-first-open-digital-cinema-camera

This is the crowd funding link. These folks are just 30K short of their funding target. Give them a hand. We owe it to ourselves.

Please mention MagicLantern in your funding page. This will also help the collaboration between the developing teams to creat a magical camera.

This is what I have posted on my flick account. The pics are still loading and have not gone live yet.

kgv5

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

extremelypoorfilmaker

It is so frustrating that i will have £350 only after the 20 of october.. if only i knew of this before.. Anyone up for lending me £350? :D Only joking.. :)

KurtAugust

The best advice I ever got: never go to the bank to buy a camera.

So don't feel bad if you can't buy a camera. Buy gear with money that you have, not with money that you don't have.

(Although it took a couple of hard lessons why it was the best advice ever given and I'm still learning)

But that's the the beauty here: we can support the bigger cause, not by spending a lot* but by spending a little**.

* which almost none of us have, and we are many
**which all of us have, and we are many

Now, all Apertus needs is footage that rivals the Alexa, Varicam etc. Now it only appeals to the tech crowds who understand it wider importance. Just my opinion. Sexy images sell camera's. Perhaps that's the main culprit right now. The footage just doesn't blow you away (at all) (even if we know it can be done).