Does Whitebalance matter while shooting raw video?

Started by AsherVast, May 08, 2014, 07:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsherVast

Are the whitebalance settings baked into the raw footage when shooting raw on the 5DMK3? Basically, If I chose daylight as my white balance setting, will those changes be permanently made into the raw footage?

DavidSh

Quote from: AsherVast on May 08, 2014, 07:16:19 PM
Are the whitebalance settings baked into the raw footage when shooting raw on the 5DMK3? Basically, If I chose daylight as my white balance setting, will those changes be permanently made into the raw footage?

Simple and short answer - No.

Best
David.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

AsherVast

So is there any reason to set the white balance at all if it's not affecting the image?

DavidSh

Quote from: AsherVast on May 08, 2014, 08:00:04 PM
So is there any reason to set the white balance at all if it's not affecting the image?
No need for wb settings when you shoot raw

Best
David
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

Midphase

Quote from: AsherVast on May 08, 2014, 08:00:04 PM

Just as a personal reference and starting point, or to make the monitor look somewhat close to what you want the final image to look like.

Thejungle

Quote from: DavidSh on May 08, 2014, 07:42:48 PM
Simple and short answer - No.

Best
David.

*Beep* Wrong! Yes, WB has impact on the footage/photo. You can still get more cold or warm photos when shooting RAW. Good news it is just some part of data, not the image itself, so it just sets this data in RAW-processing software when you open image, and you can easily modify it without any impact on image. But! You have to pay careful attention on that while editing RAW files, as software will automatically set WB for the photo, and you can get too cold or too warm photos after exporting, remember to adjust the settings and then do the rest corrections! You're welcome. :)

dmilligan

Quote from: Thejungle on May 09, 2014, 12:52:48 PM
*Beep* Wrong!
Maybe you didn't read the original question carefully:
QuoteAre the whitebalance settings baked into the raw footage when shooting raw on the 5DMK3?
DavidSh's answer is correct. It is not baked in. It is metadata.

Audionut

Quote from: dmilligan on May 09, 2014, 06:17:39 PM
Maybe you didn't read the original question carefully

Trolling!
The entire paragraph made no sense what so ever.
It was like some mishmash of yes, no, maybe.  After the question had been sufficiently answered.