How Many times can you load ML 550D/600D

Started by andypandy, July 03, 2012, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andypandy

Hi,

I read somewhere that there is a limit you can load firmware and that it can lock out camera and would require sending back to canon to sort?

Say if you start camera alot won't it lock out? I might be talking out of my a*** here, but would like some re-assurance please?

Sorry but I don't fully understand how ML loads the on the camera. Thanks.

Malcolm Debono

I had read somewhere about that too back when I first encountered ML, but to my knowledge it was just an unfounded rumour and only applied to the 7D. I haven't heard of any sort of similar issues with the cameras supported by ML, and frankly I don't think it's true for any camera.

I have been running ML on the 60D and the 5Dmk2 for quite a while now, and never experienced any "lock outs". The only reassurance I can give you is that so far, no one has managed to brick a camera because of ML, which says a lot.  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

andypandy

1%

As many times as you want. It doesn't re-write the firmware in memory when you load ML. It reads it from the SD card. As to how many times you can flash .fir files... might be limited by the writes on the chip. usually that is like a few 1000 or 100k so no worries.

scrax

Quote from: andypandy on July 03, 2012, 05:03:41 PM
Hi,
I read somewhere that there is a limit you can load firmware and that it can lock out camera and would require sending back to canon to sort?

this is probably what you read:
Unfortunately, on the 7D Canon has cranked the security settings to
"maximum", but luckily they made some significant cryptography
mistakes and we able to make sense of the 7D updates.  Thanks to the
efforts of arm.indy, we fully understand the signature scheme and
can sign our own firmware images.  With the latest update for the
7D, however, Canon has effectively stopped my development with what
appears to be a firmware update counter: my camera no longer accepts
the signatures, even in Canon's official firmware files.
from Trammel Hudson on the developer mailing list.

After that there are some more notes that explains that it was not a firmware updates counter but a failed updates check, this little difference is really important (but I can't find them anymore now).
Even if actually 7D has a firmware updates check ML will increase it only once when setting the boot flag, then you are not forced anymore to use it, even if you upgrade your firmware the boot flag will stay on.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

andypandy