Really afraid to install a nightly

Started by Hey, May 07, 2014, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey

Hi everybody,

so I've been using and loving ML for almost a year, but now I'm dying to try out the the new features, until now I've been waiting for a stable release but yeah, it's been two years...

The problem is my 500D is not entirely mine, it's my father's so I am really really scared to install a nightly. Are they safe now ? Does anyone with a 500D can confirm that certain nightly is working perfectly ? Or you think now there shouldn't be any problem with the latest ones ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Walter Schulz

Speak with your father!
You have a strange concept about ML and risks involved. Even if there is not a single person having problems with this type of cam doesn't constitute a proof that *your* single piece of hardware will not turn into a paperweight.
ML's devs are limited to reverse engineering. No Canon employee taking care about pitfalls and mines on the way.

Again: Speak with your father. Life is just another word for risk. For some risks you have the chance to decide which one to take and which one to avoid.

Hey

Haha that's not going to work! But there is a bit of background for that, like I already bricked an iphone doing nasty things on it. :P Yeah between keeping the stock features and taking this risk he is not going to think more than 2 seconds... Plus as he is using the camera only on our holiday trips he doesn't understand what the features could do, and the UI creeps him out!  :)

Again, I'm still terrified thinking the canon won't work again, don't know what to do.  :(

Hey

Alright, after a week or so of hesitation I installed today's nightly! And everything seems to be working fine! The only thing I noticed is the "lag", it now takes a bit more time to do anything but I guess that's nothing. So yeah, 07/05/14 's nightly is good on the 500D.

Braga

Good for you  :)
I often load the latest nightly in my 550D.
And it still works like a charm... despite some occasional freezes ... 
Making Magic 550D
EFP/ENG Photog/Editor

Marsu42

Quote from: Hey on May 07, 2014, 02:32:45 PM
The problem is my 500D is not entirely mine, it's my father's so I am really really scared to install a nightly. Are they safe now ?

Even the current "stable" ML on your 550d is not "safe", and a satellite might come crashing down right now and kill you where you sit. But concerning "nightly": It's the "new stable" and is probably better bugfixed than the old "stable" version" because all development nowadays happens in branches, new code is only merged after testing.

Hey

That's what I realized, now I'm checking everyday for new changes and I just installed today's nightly. It's so much better than before, but yeah all the big red warnings all over the forums/read me are kind of scary...