48p in lower resolution with sound?

Started by Leppert, May 05, 2014, 10:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leppert

So the normal cinema look is 24p, filmed with 1/48 shutter.
for music videos i sometimes want to slow down a scene, but it doesent look good with 24p.
cant i just film in 48p  1/96 somehow and export the video with 24p? all scenes who wasnt slowed down should look like filmed in 24p...
maybe its possible too to record at a resolution like 1500x900 or something in that modus? so i wouldnt need to go down to 720p...

with the frame override it doesent record audio... and I think recording at 60fps wouldnt make the same effect

i use the canon 600d

dmilligan

Quote from: Leppert on May 05, 2014, 10:09:35 PM
for music videos
Why do you need to record sound if it's for a music video? Isn't your only audio the pre-recorded music track?

Additionally, live sound for 'slo-mo' footage is not often used anyway (it usually either just background music, or foley/sound effects), as it would also need to be slowed-down, which usually doesn't sound very good (there are two ways to do it, just slow it down, like a slowing a record player, which will drop the pitch, or using an effect to slow it down while holding the pitch constant, which can sound pretty terrible and distorted)

cant i just film in 48p  1/96 somehow and export the video with 24p?
Of course, you just 're-interpret' the footage from 48p to 24p in your NLE. In fact you can record at different fps depending on how much you want to slow the footage down and then just re-interpret to 24fps. So for example for even more slow down you can record at 60fps and re-interpret to 24fps. It will look just as good, but will be slowed down even more.

maybe its possible too to record at a resolution like 1500x900 or something in that modus? so i wouldnt need to go down to 720p...
Nope

Leppert

I need the sound for the synchro later... ive got big problems with syncing the singers lips or instruments without it

With 60 fps I think its not that easy to get that "24p look" later

but why isnt it possible? when im able to record at 720p with 60fps or with 1080p with 35fps it have to be possible to film with like 850p at 48fps?

at the raw video function on the nightly builds there I can choose a resolution, why isnt that possible without raw video?

thats really annoing for me that I cant record 48fps with sound :(

dmilligan

Quote from: Leppert on May 06, 2014, 09:36:56 PM
I need the sound for the synchro later... ive got big problems with syncing the singers lips or instruments without it
Then recording sound won't help you as it will be out of sync, b/c you're changing the fps (think about it).

Quote from: Leppert on May 06, 2014, 09:36:56 PMWith 60 fps I think its not that easy to get that "24p look" later
You are using subjective terms so whatever. Objectively, there will be no difference between the "look" of 60fps slowed down to 24fps and 48fps slowed down to 24fps other than the apparent amount of slow down. If you really want sound then you can record at 50fps with sound, which should be almost exactly the same, since the "slow down factor" is almost the same (the slow down factor isn't going to be a nice even 2x though, so you'll need to speed up your actor's playback track by 50/24 = 2.083x, instead of just 2x)

but why isnt it possible? when im able to record at 720p with 60fps or with 1080p with 35fps it have to be possible to film with like 850p at 48fps?
at the raw video function on the nightly builds there I can choose a resolution, why isnt that possible without raw video?
The answer to both these questions is: because raw video doesn't go through the H.264 encoder which is implemented in hardware, and because it is implemented in hardware, it obviously cannot be changed to support different resolutions. (See also: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11570.msg113776#msg113776)

Here is what you should do (if you really want 48fps instead of 50fps):
Get a clapperboard and when you start the take, start it a measure or two early and clap the clapper in front of the camera along to the beats of these "intro" measures. This should give you a nice strong visual reference to sync your audio. Obviously since you can't record sound, you won't be recording the sound of the clapper, just the visual of it. It should then be easy to line that up with the audio waveform of the music as beats tend to have strong peaks in audio waveforms.

Leppert

sorry, i maybe didnt wrote it clearly.
i dont want to slow down every clip from 48/60 fps to 24.
i planned to film a lot of szenes with the high frame rate and only use some of them to slow them down later. for example i want the singer in normal speed and only parts where he walks in slow motion. what I meaned was, that when i cut the szenes with 60 fps, dont use slowmotion and export it to 24, it doesent have the same look like it was filmes in 24p. thats my problem at the moment :(

dmilligan

I don't understand, why wouldn't you just record the scenes you want in slowmo in 48fps and the scenes you don't in 24?

Also what's wrong with my 50fps suggestion?

Leppert

hm i think my biggest problem isnt to solve: i need to film in 720p when i want 48 or more fps so the video wont be in high resultion.
i think i will film everything in full hd at 25 fps and the slowmo clips, like you said, with 50 or 60 fps in 720p.

i want to thank you a lot for your help, sorry i made it so complicated