Crop Mode with invention

Started by Quentin, May 05, 2014, 04:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

Before my Canon 5d3, I used to have an old cropped sensor camera.

While I was expecting my 5d3 to arrive, I ordered a Holga Lens together with a Fish Eye Lens for it, for something like 40 euros total.
I was disappointed to find out that this potential cheap fish eye solution was for a cropped sensor camera, so all I see was black barrel and a circular fish eye image in the middle.

BUT ... with Magic Lantern, I can record the Fish Eye in 1920x1080 using the Crop Mode.
How nice !!!!!!
For 40 euros, I saved myself some hundreds investing in a Fish Eye Lens.

Incredible idea. So happy. Thanks to all ML developers and users.

Kharak

A minor Lens Correction in AE will also do wonders for your cropped fish eye footage )
once you go raw you never go back

Quentin

Although it looks similar, it doesnt capture the wide angle view.
Rather, AE Lens effect distorts the image edges to mimic the effect.

Danne

I tried that concept  a while ago here

jimmyD30

Not sure, but I think what @Kharak means is applying lens correction in Adobe Camera Raw will remove the fisheye lens distortion from the video if that's what you want to do. Also, I think what @Quentin is saying is applying a fisheye look in After Effects to normal video isn't the same as real fisheye lens video capture.

Of course I could be wrong on both accounts ???

@Danne, nice comparison video :-)

Danne

Hehe, youre right. Well, the video shows it other way around. Had to make a personal lensprofile in lightroom since crop mode isn, t centrerad to get a rectilinear 24mm from my 8mm peleng

jimmyD30

Hey @Danne, my comments weren't directed at you, your video was spot on for what @kharak was saying, so my compliments again.

I was just was trying to clear things up between the other two posters for all of us to better understand the exchange of ideas that was going on, I think they were kind of missing each other's point a little bit.

Quentin

Sometimes you needs lens distortion, sometimes you dont.
My main concept was how to use a 1.6 crop sensor fish eye lens on my full frame camera.

I dont disapprove other uses.
It depends what you want :)