Corrupted Card

Started by painya, May 03, 2014, 06:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

painya

Hello, I am on a 5d mk iii running ML and had a couple hours of footage on my SD card. Now, putting it back into my camera I can not read the card, nor can I read it on my computer. I'm guessing this isn't ML related but some advice could save my ass.
Thanks,
Painya
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

painya

Update: I have full confidence in the ML team and am extremely grateful. However, certain people on this production are not, and are "non-believers." Could someone please explain why this is not ML's fault even though I know full well it is not? That would be greatly appreciated.

Audionut

painya

Your humor is always appreciated! Thank you for your response.

chris_overseas

Was it a UDMA7 CF card, and did you put it in a USB 2.0 card reader at any point? It is possible to corrupt your data and even damage the card this way, and of course this has nothing to do with Magic Lantern. Technicians from Lexar, KomputerBay and official Canon support centres have all said this, eg see the "Important Information" here: http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Sales%20-%20Memory%20Cards.html  Even some older USB 3.0 card readers suffer from the same problem (hence the reference at the link above to update your Lexar card reader firmware).

Failing that, as Audionut points out it's most likely just a coincidence. CF cards sometimes fail and I'm not aware of anything in ML code that could physically damage a memory card. AFAIK ML accesses the CF card in the same way that Canon code does.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

painya

Chris-
Thanks but for some reason we've been shooting off of SD cards. Probably price. I've been using a Sandisk extreme pro and my (very new and fast) laptop couldn't recognize it saying it needed to be formatted. I ran a card recovery sysyem and it said there was nothing on the disk so I am guessing it is gone for good. Thank you for your reply!