Worflow for 60fps RAW - how to create good proxies ?

Started by Maplo, May 03, 2014, 04:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maplo

Hello all,

I worked on a short film where the director wanted to mix 23.98fps with 60fps for certain sequences.
We then shot a lot of 60fps footage.

I am now doing the data management for his editing.
I easily created proxies for the 23.98fps sequences with Resolve, using the DNG files I made with RawMagic.

For the 60fps sequences, I used the workflow described here (http://vimeo.com/68042423) to de-squeeze the images.

Now I'm trying to find out what would be the best to do so that it is possible to create the proxies.
I might be completely wrong, but what I tried first was to use after effects to create de-squeezed TIF files, and then I used Resolve to create the proxies. It was just impossible, with whatever set up I tried I always had the wrong frame rate at the end (about twice to slow).
I was using Resolve 9 Lite, which I used on many other projects with cameras like the Alexa, the Red epic and scarlet, the Blackmagic.....And I did quite a few transcode of alexa footage at 60fps and other fps with no problems.

Now, it seems that the only solution is to pass by after effects again, which is not only far from perfect to create proxies that would match exactly my RAW footage, and also extremely time consuming as we shot quite a LOT of 60fps sequences.

Is there a way to do that well ? Is there a way to automate the process on after effect for resizing ?
Did any of you ran into the same problem and got some headaches and nightmares ?

Thanks a lot for any help or comments on my workflow !!

Danne

Hi! It,s my video you,re referring to. I made another one here which do it a little more batchwise but after effects is not best for this task. 52 seconds in the video I start a tutorial.

I don,t know if MLrawviewer http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg113131#msg113131 could create proxies. Not sure if the unsqueeze is applied in export. Anyway, it might work to export to .mov which then could be unstretched and exported much faster than with dng;s

yfabing

Hello,
to me, after a lot of different tries, I came up with a good solution to mix different FPS footage,
with DaVinci 10.

Create new project, and BEFORE adding any footage, do this in the Project settings page :
-Master project settings menu :
go all way down and in "Mixed frame rates format", select "None"
-Image Scalling menu :
"Mismatched resolution frames" to "Stretch to all corners"

Those 2 settings will make your 24fps, and 50fps footage to play at 24fps.
Basically means that the 50fps will play slow... and that's what you need
And the stretch to all corner will automatically, well, unstretch you 50fps stretch footage.

So then you can throw in 24fps and / or 50fps and export them super smoothly.

Then, even better, i'd suggest you to follow that tutorial :
https://vimeo.com/67970827 and directly integrate it in the project settings,
so your proxies will look amazing, and you will have a great base to work on.