Magic Lantern as mention on the RC!

Started by 3pointedit, July 03, 2012, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3pointedit

Magic Lantern was finally mentioned in glowing terms by the boys on the RC podcast. That is a podcast for DOPs and DSLR pros.
http://www.fxguide.com/therc/the-rc-114-catch-up/

I pointed them toward it back in early version days, but they weren't impressed by the install. But now they say the mod is "professional" and something you would "want to pay for"!

Strangely they go on to mention a competing product, that you do have to pay for, which has many of the ML features. Timelapse and ramping for example.

I still feel like there should be a TVC type product demo, that is a short 30-60sec promo spot demonstrating the awesome tools in Magic Lantern.
550D on ML-roids

Malcolm Debono

Thanks for sharing!

The promo would definitely be a good idea. Will keep that in mind.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

1%

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: 1% on July 03, 2012, 07:37:46 PM
There is a competing ML? Do tell....

Competing product as in intervalometer remotes, bramp, etc. (hardware which is redundant since ML already has these features)  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

nanomad

It's kinda hard do define a timer a competing product, unless it has features such as FPS control, silent pics and focus racking  :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

3pointedit

Here are the PDF notes from the podcast http://media.fxguide.com/the_rc/the_rc-114-notes.pdf the product is called Triggertrap and runs from a smart phone. There are a lot of cross over features (not all), it just seemed funny that the hosts of the show mentioned the strengths of triggertrap, that were the same strengths of ML. Except for the cool GPS trigger for timelapse.
550D on ML-roids

tinyenormous

If that gps intervalometer works like I expect it to, then the effect is old before it has been invented. We've all seen timelapses from cars before. It's done often because it's easy, but it's almost always ugly.

That being said, I have thought about buying it before, for non-ml cameras.