CF for RAW recording on 5D mark II

Started by chaosmonger, April 30, 2014, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaosmonger

Hello guys, I'm an italian indipendent filmmaker (if you want you can check my showreel in here: https://vimeo.com/83186407)
I'm using the 5Dm2 for 5 years, making award winning short movies, but never recorded in RAW.
At the end of June I'm shooting my new short film and I would like to try for the first time to record in RAW.
I would like to shoot 1880x940, better if 25fps than 24 (but this is not strict).
My question is: what's the best CF I can buy for the 5D2, considering that my max budget is €500, that I need in some scenes to record 5 minutes continuously and that I need a lot of space to handle with many outdoor shots (i.e. not lot of flexibility to backup the files during shooting)???

I heard that 64GB works better than 128GB on 5D2. So I was thinking that maybe 3x 64GB KomputerBay 1050 would be the best option.

What's your opinion? How many minutes of RAW footage can fit in 64GB? What's the best choice?

Thanks a lot!!!
Nicola

ted ramasola

I recommend the 64gig 1000X from Komputerbay. Not the 1050X. The 1050X is faster only in read speed and not in write speed.

Make sure also that you buy a USB 3 udma7 compatible CF card reader or else the CF cards will be corrupted.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

chaosmonger

Thanks a lot Ted!!!  :)
I don't understand the corrupting thing... What do you mean? If I put the CF on another USB card reader (like my old USB 2.0 one) it will corrupt the CF?!

ted ramasola

yes, the high capacity cards from komputerbay from 64 gig upwards need a usb 3 card reader.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

djzigoh

Hi, 1880x940 it's only avaible if you shoot just video, if you want video + audio you have to use MLV format. I think that the max stable resolution is 1872x940.
I use it to shot continuous with global draw ON (zebras, focus peak, etc) and NO hdmi monitor.
To shoot continuous with An hdmi monitor I have to turn OFF global draw.

I use komputerbay 64gb 1000x and transcend usb 3.0 reader.