Problems With Raw Converting And Other Issues

Started by jippalippa, April 30, 2014, 02:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jippalippa

Hello.
I'm deeply sorry to post a new thread, but, even after reading lots and lots of guides and pages on this site, i'm still very much confused about some matters.
I'll try to be schematic, in order to avoid wasting your time:

1- The installation on my Canon 5D Mark II of the Magic Lantern (2.3 Stable release) went flawlessly, and i also loaded the last Nightly Build (29th of April) in order to have raw video and sound recording.
Is it normal i ave some rare cases of minor UI fickering (In some rare occasion the audio meters flicker for a time or two)? Nothing too annoying, though

2- I went into the camera menu, and activated the raw footage (choosing a resolution i could capture flawlessly), and i ended up having a "MLV" file.
I checked on the site, but nearly every single page says that the raw magic lantern format is ".RAW".
As a matter of fact, many converting softwares (such as Raw2Dng) only accept ".raw" files.
Is this normal? How am i sure of getting true 14-bits raw footage?

3- I stumbled upon a software called "MLV Mystic" (on this site). it's the only one that accepts .MLV video, and converts it to dng.
How can i be sure that the .dng i end up with (after converting) is a true raw, and not a compressed file, turned into a raw one?

4- How can i enable sound recording, alongside my raw footage, and which audio file does the camera produce? (And how to convert it to a usable format)

5- Is it normal that, when i use the standard plus magnification button of the camera (The lens with a plus), i get a black & white image? The same function on the magic lantern (by half-pressing the shutter) works well, though.

6- Is it normal that the focus detection function (the one that shows which parts of the picture are in focus) is not that precise?
Don't get me wrong, it's useful, but sometimes doesn't get a very good focus reognition.

Thanks a lot.
I'm sorry to bother you, but the enormous amount of threads got me confused.

Midphase

1. Maybe.

2. It's 14bit. If you want to enable .raw then you need to use RAW_REC and not MLV_REC. .mlv is the new format (new as in since last September) and it's raw with the added benefit of audio.

3. There is mlv2dng, MLRawViewer and a few others if you look around. They all generate true raw files.

4. Load the MLV_SND module and enable audio recording. You will lose some write speed because of the audio. The audio is embedded into the .mlv files and will be demuxed by the conversion apps into a .wav file.

5. Yes. This enters the Crop-Mode.

6. Dunno...never use the focus detection for video.

jippalippa

Quote from: Midphase on April 30, 2014, 03:25:04 AM
2. It's 14bit. If you want to enable .raw then you need to use RAW_REC and not MLV_REC. .mlv is the new format (new as in since last September) and it's raw with the added benefit of audio.

4. Load the SOUND_REC module and enable audio recording. You will lose some write speed because of the audio. The audio is embedded into the .mlv files and will be demuxed by the conversion apps into a .wav file.

Thanks a lot for the answers.
I just didn't get a couple of things...
So is the MLV (if i activate the raw thing in the menu, a raw format or not? If not, how do i enable the RAW_REC?

ted ramasola

MLV is the proprietary RAW format made by Magic Lantern. It is fully featured 14bit raw with meta data and Audio recording. Its the format being constantly updated.
To activate it load MLV_rec.mo and MLV_snd.mo, you also need file_man.mo, mlv_play.mo to view and playback files in-camera. So in all, I suggest upon installation of ML, go to modules tab and load these 4 modules. NOTE, do not load raw_rec and mlv_rec simultaneously, if you need raw_rec, unload mlv_rec first.

Raw_rec is the first version/generation of raw video implementation by ML, its a bit faster but no audio and other info. But you can do a bit higher res. For more on resolution difference see a chart I posted here.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.0
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas