Benefits of 1.2.3 on 5DmkIII

Started by Midphase, April 30, 2014, 12:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

Just curious about specifically what are the benefits of updating my firmware to 1.2.3 when using ML raw vs. staying in 1.1.3.

Alternatively, what are the downsides?

This is obviously a question for people who have updated and are using the new 1.2.3 ML build. I'm interested in updating, but not if there are no specific benefits to doing so (if it's not broke...), or if there are some functionality downsides that make shooting raw less reliable than it is in 1.1.3.

Many thanks.

dubzeebass

Steps to follow: 1. Go read the comprehensive and long 1.2.3 thread. 2. Profit :-)

Midphase

Look, after being around here for over a year, I'm not scared or reading long threads and doing my fair share of searching. But some simple feedback from a couple of users who have upgraded to 1.2.3 would not only be helpful to me, but to the many other people who will post the same exact question in the upcoming months. Sometimes, pointing someone to a 16+ page thread mostly ridden with garbage posts is not the best way to help the community.

I'm just as snarky as you are about newbees not doing their required reading, but I also understand that sometimes a more concise and brief explanation is needed and helpful. So every once in a while, even I try to grow up a little bit, roll up my sleeves and attempt to post some helpful responses.   ;D

giarcpnw

I did it a month ago so I could use an external monitor at HD res. read my issues here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11612.0

I've been getting strange vertical lines at full frame raw capture that weren't there in 1.1.3.  Using the x3 crop mode doesn't have this issue strangely enough. It appears to be some sort of demoisaicing issue. I can repair it with RawTherapee running the "line noise' fix under the raw tab but I will have to do this for pretty much every full frame raw capture shot at this point. Extra steps and it only outputs tiff sequences at 3x the size of the DNGs. Even more of a PITA for the RAW post procedure.  I can't be the only one dealing with this so when it pops up more maybe it will get more press.

I'm considering going back to 1.1.3 as it wasn't there at that firmware.

Craig

a1ex

Before blaming 1.2.3 for that issue, you need to provide a proof that 1.1.3 does not have it.

;)

giarcpnw

jgerstel

Hi

If you use MLV Mystic there is a tick box to fix the vertical "lines" in the DNG files: Vertical stripes fix. That works for me (5d3 v1.2.3)