Magiclantern on a (MōVI) camera gimbal :-)

Started by AnotherDave, April 29, 2014, 04:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

I had so much fun messing around with the Magiclantern firmware on my Mk3 last year that THIS year, I decided to start playing around with other camera components too.

Here is a link to my Mk3 shooting raw video on a MōVI-like camera gimbal that I assembled, and wired.  Hoping to have lots more footage to share soon.

http://vimeo.com/93104878

Jakobmen

nice!  where you get the parts for the Camera Gimbal? how long did it take to build?
Canon 5D3

AnotherDave

I got them from all over the place, mostly eBay...  shipping was a slow slow nightmare.  It took me a while cause I first had to learn how to solder circuit boards, and do electrical wiring... which I had no clue about when I started working on it.

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

AnotherDave

Less than the cost of the Mk3, but over-all I didn't keep track that well.  I had lots of little supplies that I needed (IE - a soldering iron, hex keys, wires, etc) that any one who does electrical projects would have.

mageye

I must say that's incredible. Such smooth motion. Do you have a starting point for making something like that? (You know like the blueprints!).

Primarily I want to make DIY a motorised slider/dolly system. I have some limited knowledge of electronics. But I am finding the engineering part the most difficult.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

AnotherDave

There aren't really any blueprints.  There is, however, a wealth of free knowledge - much like what you find on here - in the RC community forums about how to build these suckers. 

If you're used to navigating this site to learn about hacking you're camera, it should be a breeze.