Soon to be newbie sound editor - Accepting advices

Started by Nautilus, April 24, 2014, 08:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nautilus

Hey peeps,

A friend of mine is an indie moviemaker and he's gonna shoot a short in a few months. He called me to work in his set as sound editor & foleys etc... I don't have much experience in this field but he trusts me and says it doesn't require master knowledge (at least not for his project). He asks me to read the script and write down which sound is required where and then record it.

(Dialogue is not a part of my job, they have a sound guy for dialogue recording, but the rest is on my shoulders.)

Now i need to study a bit about sound editing in general and how to record foley sounds. Do you happen to know nice guides for beginners?
He also asked me to write whatever equipment i need for the job and he'll supply it. I was immediately thinking Zoom H4N, would it suit to this kind of project? What else do you think i'll need for this job? Rode VideoMic Stereo?

(BTW i have Rode VideoMic Pro, Rode Micro boom pole and 3meters rode vc-1 stereo extension cables in my gear arsenal. Am I going to be needing these?)

Thanks very much.
It is very important for me.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

jose_ugs

Its essential to start with script and get an overall idea what sounds u'll be needing, i.e. recording. I dont know of any guides, but a Google search will show you at least a ton :)

ItsMeLenny

I don't see why you would need a Zoom or Stereo mic.
Because both of them have prepositioned microphones, you can't rotate the microphones.
You could just use your video mic pro and record into your computer at 48000 sample rate
(instead of 44100 which is for CD, 48000 is for video and dvd, 96000 is for bluray and so is the one above that,
22050 is just terrible and is for old old windows games from the mid 90s).
You'd probably just need some sort of mixer plugged into your computer sound card for the microphone to plug into.

dfort

The topic heading says sound editor yet the conversation seems to be directed at sound recording. Your "A gear junky" personal text also says a lot about where you're coming from. In any case, here's a link you might find helpful:

http://mpse.org/education/what-is-audio-post-production/

I'm not going to make any equipment recommendations other than to say that how well you use your equipment is much more important that what equipment you use. That said, if you want to work with the best possible equipment for a short-term gig--rent it. Whatever you buy today will turn into hi-tech junk in the long term.

N/A

The H4N isn't particularly bad, the 48v phantom power and a/d converters are clean for the price, but just use equipment you're already familiar and comfortable with. I'm hoping you already know the basics of sound editing, such as gain staging properly to get a great recording without clipping your a/d, which DAW you'll be editing and mixing with, and basic tools such as compression and eq.

Biggest tip I can give- Get a good enough recording so that you won't have to fix it in post. Otherwise, know the script backwards and forward, and it wouldn't hurt to get a sound fx cd or pack to reference your own recordings.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?