turn off Optical Image Stabilizing (OIS, VC) in LiveView when not recording

Started by poromaa, May 06, 2014, 11:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poromaa

Perhaps impossible, but found out that my battery drains very fast during filming if the OIS (or VC as on Tamron) is turned on. At the moment I turn the thing off between every take, but sometimes I forget. OIS is always on when liveview is on even though Im not recording video. If outside liveview the OIS turns off after about 5 seconds of non use.

It would have been a great feature to have the OIS physically turned on, but only active during recording.

Audionut

Lens based image stabilization is only active when recording, or during half/full shutter press.

edit:  Actually, I know this to be true outside of liveview, but not entirely sure in liveview.

poromaa

On my camera 5D2, with Tamron 24-70 VC and the Canon 70-200 ISII, the stabilisation is on the whole time in liveView. Only way to turn it off is to exit liveview (probably a good idea) or turn the switch on the lens (but then I have to turn it on again when filming). Sometimes (often) exit liveview is not good since you might do other settings there.

ansius

I think stabilization is on all the time in video mode, not in photo mode. And it consumes a lot of power, especially in mine EF 28-300 IS USM, that has made me rather disciplined, to turn of camera when not needed, but ML being somewhat unstable thus messes with it, because sometimes after turning it of it does not want to start unless you do battery reset, which in my case is easy because of battery grip, but anyway. In high pressure time i still would use ML free camera, just to be on safe side, 7D is still an early adoption, and does behave strangely, yet I report only those issues I can repeat / prove, like the one with battery percentage sticking at 100%.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

dmilligan

poromaa

Quote from: dmilligan on May 07, 2014, 05:02:26 PM
have you tried powersave in LV?

There is no dedicated OIS-powersave feature in Powersave menu.
This feature would be most useful between shots, when framing subject or trying different lights. At the moment I will just go with turning off the thing on the lens, but sometimes I simply forget :)