I need a new microphone for my Zoom H6

Started by Brawl, April 29, 2014, 01:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

Hello I need to take audio in short movies and I'm actually using my Zoom H6. the problem is that his X/Y microphones are too much sensible and takes so much sound from the  surroundings environment.
I need a microphones that takes ony the voice of the actors also in ambience where it's too loud. is the rode ntg2 the right microphone?

I wish a michropnone that give a nice volume level when recording. and give not white noise. which is the best for my zoom h6? my budget is around 200 euros.

thanks a lot. :)

Danialdaneshmand

Hi there

If i were you i would've gone for the H4n and a better Mic or maybe two for different purposes.
at last the best way to decide is to see it for yourself.
YouTube has tons of videos about a good shotgun mic especially the one you're going for
just search it and spend some time watching the reviews.

Regards..

Brawl

Quote from: Danialdaneshmand on April 29, 2014, 06:44:54 PM
Hi there

If i were you i would've gone for the H4n and a better Mic or maybe two for different purposes.
at last the best way to decide is to see it for yourself.
YouTube has tons of videos about a good shotgun mic especially the one you're going for
just search it and spend some time watching the reviews.

Regards..
believe me that I did the same thing about choosing which recorder to buy also looking on forum around the www. I posted here, on eoshd forum, on philip bloom forum.... anyone said that the h6 had better gain than zoom h4n so I spent more money for the h6. I hope I did not waste my money. 

mixmastermike

Quote from: Brawl on April 29, 2014, 01:06:09 PM
Hello I need to take audio in short movies and I'm actually using my Zoom H6. the problem is that his X/Y microphones are too much sensible and takes so much sound from the  surroundings environment.
I need a microphones that takes ony the voice of the actors also in ambience where it's too loud. is the rode ntg2 the right microphone?

I wish a michropnone that give a nice volume level when recording. and give not white noise. which is the best for my zoom h6? my budget is around 200 euros.

thanks a lot. :)

I use a rode NTG2 on a shock mount with a Zoom H6 and its excellent, perfect for picking up dialogue. I also have the Zoom H6 shotgun mic that clips on the front of the H6. Its not a patch on the red NTG2, the noise floor is much higher on the zoom. You will get a much cleaner and professional sound with the Rode.

Brawl

Quote from: mixmastermike on April 29, 2014, 08:45:49 PM
I use a rode NTG2 on a shock mount with a Zoom H6 and its excellent, perfect for picking up dialogue. I also have the Zoom H6 shotgun mic that clips on the front of the H6. Its not a patch on the red NTG2, the noise floor is much higher on the zoom. You will get a much cleaner and professional sound with the Rode.
hello thanlks for help. someone say that NTG2 is not very sensitive, so I will need to increase gain on the Zoom H6, which will increase background sounds. what is your experience about it? thanks a lot!

mixmastermike

The gain dial on the H6 with the NTG2 is on 4/5 on the Zoom Shotgun its on 9. The noise floor on the NTG2 is much lower and the recording is a lot cleaner you don't have to boost it any where as much.

what mice are you comparing the NTG2 to? it is a directional mic and can only be compared to other shotgun mics.

Sure its not as sensitive as an NTG3, but hey if you want to spend $600 I think thats a whole new ball game.