T1i / 500D and Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle issues

Started by jaxdia, May 04, 2014, 06:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxdia

Well, after much Googling and forum searching, and not really getting anywhere, I'm forced to post a new topic about this, in the hope that someone knows what's going on and can help.

As a total amateur to the whole 'filming with DSLR' thing, I recently emptied my piggy bank to get a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 and compatible SSD (from the list on Blackmagic's website), to try it out.

Installed Magic Lantern on my Canon 500D / T1i, got Clear HDMI overlays working, and connected the HDMI out port on the camera to the HDMI in port on the HyperDeck Shuttle.

- Turned on the camera, switched it to movie mode, and saw the LiveView with no overlays. So far so good.
- Turned on the Shuttle, the LCD on the camera went black as I read I should expect.
- SSD light on the Shuttle flickered and went out, then the Stop light came on, which according to the manual means its ready.

And then... nothing. The "VIDEO" light didn't come on. I was able to get it to come on very briefly once when flicking between camera modes, but that's it.

I've been fiddling around in the ML settings, and even after hammering on the record button in frustration, nothing I do seems to get the external recorder to pick up any video whatsoever. At this point, I don't have it connected to an external monitor, which I read I should expect to see overlays on the resulting footage. Doesn't bother me. At this point, I'd just like to see SOMETHING.

Everyone else I read about seem to have no problems connecting the two. So I assume it's some simple setting I'm missing. Does anyone know what it is?