Used USB 2.0 on Cf cards- have they been damaged permanently?

Started by FilmPerson, December 31, 2013, 05:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilmPerson

I just found out that using USB 2.0 card readers could corrupt certain 1000x cf cards.  I'm using a 3.0 now, but i had been using the 2.0 for the past 3 months.  Are the cards I used with it permanently damaged? They both seem to be working fine, but are they more likely to fail since I used the wrong card reader on them for a little bit?

reddeercity

Quote from: FilmPerson on December 31, 2013, 05:01:59 AM
I just found out that using USB 2.0 card readers could corrupt certain 1000x cf cards.  I'm using a 3.0 now, but i had been using the 2.0 for the past 3 months.  Are the cards I used with it permanently damaged? They both seem to be working fine, but are they more likely to fail since I used the wrong card reader on them for a little bit?
If they are working now you should have no problems,
Do some stress tests just to be sure, full the cards up with data then transfer it, do this 1/2 dozen times or more
and check the data to make sure that it's not corrupted.
In the last 2 mouths I just started to use a USB 3.0 Card reader form Certified Data.
But before that I used a Startech USB 2.0 Card reader for 4 mouths, it work great but very slow.
Use it with my Lexar 1000x cards & Sandisk Extreme Pro with no problems. :)

BrettR

I recently just learned of all of this usb 2 being bad for 1000x cards and I have a computer that only has 2.0s. Is there any way around this, or do I need to buy an entire new computer? Seems a bit extreme. Surely there is some stop gap measure?

Africashot

What you need is a USB 3.0 CF card reader, plugging it into a USB 2.0 socket will only affect the speed and won't put your cards in danger.
ML 5D2 & T3i

ted ramasola

In addition to what africashot said, if you want improved speed without changing your computer, I bought a usb3 PCIe card that I added into my old PC. Not as fast as USB 3 slot built into the MB but better than plugging a USB3 cf reader onto a usb 2 port.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

BrettR

Quote from: Africashot on May 02, 2014, 08:16:24 AM
What you need is a USB 3.0 CF card reader, plugging it into a USB 2.0 socket will only affect the speed and won't put your cards in danger.

how bizarre! I never would have guessed that that would be ok. Thank you!