Magic Lantern underwater

Started by nrt, April 28, 2014, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt

Hi I'm doing some research for a project that wants to try and use a 5D3 with magic lantern underwater. I was wandering if anyone has tried this. The diver owns the 5D but is wary of installing it because he is afraid that it will cause the camera to overheat in its underwater housing. Does anyone know if this is the case, if Magic Lantern causes the camera to heat up more? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I must add my respect to the teams of individuals behind Magic Lantern, I haven't had to the pleasure of working with it but it sounds like what's going on is simply amazing.

g3gg0

dont be afraid. ML doesnt heat up your camera.
its just what you do with ML.

i.e.
raw video -> being in video mode (LV) all the time causes heating. (a bit more due to card accessing all the time)
intervalometer -> shooting images every two seconds causes also warming.

its not ML itself
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nrt

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Paranoid mode on: Underwater housing doesn't do well with ML's last resort (aka: Pulling batteries) and returning to surface is time consuming. Perhaps hacking power supply and adding a reed switch into the circuit ...