550D with SanDisk 64Gb Ultra

Started by bruise, April 28, 2014, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruise

New here - did a search, couldn't find anything on 550D, so starting a new thread.

I can load ML with an 8Gb card, but the 64Gb one won't work (need to eject battery). Is this a known issue with this make? Apparently ML supports 64 Gb cards, so should I use another card? (I tried deleting all the other versions while keeping the autoexec on, and that didn't work either).

The 1.1.1 firmware wouldn't work (and if anyone knows why not, I'd be grateful) - so my Canon firmware is 1.0.9

At least I can start using the 8Gb, but, you can imagine, would like to get the 64Gb usable if possible.

Many thanks,

Ben

Sony EX1, plus Canon 550D. New to dSLR video, but not video. New to ML. Eager to learn.

bruise

Sony EX1, plus Canon 550D. New to dSLR video, but not video. New to ML. Eager to learn.

bruise

Would another make work better, for example?

dmilligan

Quote from: bruise on April 28, 2014, 11:21:18 AM
I can load ML with an 8Gb card, but the 64Gb one won't work (need to eject battery). Is this a known issue with this make? Apparently ML supports 64 Gb cards, so should I use another card? (I tried deleting all the other versions while keeping the autoexec on, and that didn't work either).
ML itself does not support anything, it's the Canon firmware/hardware that either does or doesn't support 64GB cards (ML depends on filesystem drivers in the Canon firmware). AFAIK the 550D does, but I don't have one, so I can't tell you for sure. If you can manage to take pictures (without ML) on a 64GB card, then I imagine your camera supports it, and you should be able to get ML to work on it.

You cannot "install" ML with a larger than 32GB, but you can still use one with ML. The reason I put "install" in quotes is b/c ML doesn't really install anything and this term is a little misleading to newbies IMO. The installer (the .fir file) only does two things:
1. Sets a flag in the camera that tells the camera to try boot up from the SD card.
2. Sets a flag on the SD card that allows the card to be booted from.

If #1 and #2 are true then the camera will attempt to run autoexec.bin on the card. This file is ML's executable code. If you have this file and the other ML support files on the card, then (and only then) will ML boot. When ML boots, it loads it's own hooks, and then jumps into the Canon firmware.

#1 you can only do with the ML "installer" .fir file. But you only have to do it once ever (then you no longer need the .fir file, updating ML involves simply copying new files to the card).
#2 is done by the ML "installer" but you can also do it from the computer, use EOSCard (win) or macboot (mac) to do this. You have to do this step for every card you want to run ML on.

So you can still use a 64GB card if you do #1 with a smaller card (which sounds like you already have), and do #2 with the computer.

See: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install
The guide is for the old 2.3 stable version of ML, but most all of the information is still applicable for the nightly builds

Quote from: bruise on April 28, 2014, 11:21:18 AM
The 1.1.1 firmware wouldn't work (and if anyone knows why not, I'd be grateful) - so my Canon firmware is 1.0.9
ML is a hack that runs on top of the Canon firmware. It works by calling functions in the Canon firmware. Since we don't have Canon's source code, the functions' addresses are hardcoded in ML. We cannot be sure that some Canon function's address didn't change with a new version of Canon firmware, so ML does a checksum of the Canon firmware and refuses to load if anything is different. This is to protect you. It means that ML will only work on the specific version of Canon firmware it was developed for. Going to a new version is a lot of work b/c it means all the Canon functions must be found again via reverse engineering as their address have likely changed.

Quote from: bruise on April 28, 2014, 11:24:28 AM
check notify (please ignore)
if you haven't already figured it out, notifications are disabled. this forum generates too much traffic for the server to handle.

Danialdaneshmand

Hi

I Believe Canon 550D does not support SDXC Cards (Extended Capacity) which means 32GB is the highest you can go.

xbrav

I have ML running on a 550D with a Sandisk 64GB Ultra MicroSD. You need to set the flag on the camera with a separate card, then use EOScard to set the SD card flags on the 64gb card:

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

Braga

I have an SDXC 64G SanDisk Extreme Pro (formated in exFAT) in my 550D ML Nightly
It works like a charm :) 
Making Magic 550D
EFP/ENG Photog/Editor