Recording Issue On Canon 550D/T2i

Started by Jimjambeal, February 15, 2014, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimjambeal

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this has been raised elsewhere.  I'm new to the forum and wasn't 100% on where this should be posted.

Anyway, the issue.....

I'm am recording video on my 550D/T2i the Magic Lantern.  The installation of Magic Lantern was no problem and this is the only issue I noticed.

I am getting the dreaded 'recording has stopped automatically message' after 3 seconds of recording at full resolution at 24fps.

I'm aware that cheap SD cards can be be a big issue with this, but I am using Sandisk 32g Class 10 cards so can't see the  brand/quality/speed of the card being an issue.

I'm really happy with video quality I am getting and just need to get over this issue, but am getting inconstant information on what this could be.

I have a basic knowledge of DSLR video, but fear I may be missing something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jamie

jagnje

did you mess with any of the settings already? changed the bitrate maybe?

Jimjambeal

Hi, thanks for you're reply.

I have increased the bitrate, but didn't think this would effect it on a high class card.

I'll knock it down to see if that helps. Can you advise on an optimum bitrate and will having it lower effect the footage dramatically? 

Datadogie

With what I have read there is little to be gained upping the bitrate.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Jimjambeal

That's interesting to hear.

I'll drop the bitrate back to default to see what that does. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

Janke

With a class 10 card, 1.7 x bitrate already causes buffer overflow on my EOS-M. I'd guess it does so sooner on the older 550D...

Braga

Anything higher than 1.4 CBR (with sound) will cause buffer overflow in your 550D
Making Magic 550D
EFP/ENG Photog/Editor