Mark II ML questions

Started by hog120, April 28, 2014, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hog120

While shooting with magic lantern, I understand you can't use autofocus.  However, can you control the aperature, white balance, ISO, etc. while you are shooting, or does it stay fixed?  Also, what mode do you set your camera in while shooting with ML?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: hog120 on April 28, 2014, 10:54:21 AM
While shooting with magic lantern, I understand you can't use autofocus.

Wrong.

Quote from: hog120 on April 28, 2014, 10:54:21 AM
Also, what mode do you set your camera in while shooting with ML?

Anything you like and/or required for the task at hand and available.

hog120

Okay, ...do you set AF on the lens, camera, or in ML?  I can't seem to get it to autofocus while shooting.

Walter Schulz

Please describe in detail what you are doing: Still shooting with/without liveview or video? Modus used?

I suppose you tried to do the same thing without ML and it worked as intended?

hog120

I have AF engaged on the lens, the camera is in the green-auto mode, and I still have to manually focus while shooting.  I'll have to try other settings.  I'm shooting with the LCD active, which is probably the culprit. 

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but when you intend to use full auto mode you may not want to use ML at all.
Forgive the harsh words but you have to learn a lot before getting frustrated with ML's settings and features. It's most definitely not intended to be used by beginners.

hog120

I'm not frustrated with the features.  The more settings the better, no offense taken.  I was just trying to use the easiest mode to get it to work, then I thought it couldn't be done.  I'm just glad to learn that you can use af while shooting.

Walter Schulz

IMO easiest mode to learn ML is M, Auto-ISO off.
Some time ago I switched back to "Basic zone" (aka: Icon modes) to reproduce a question in another forum. Weird experience to go back where I started once, too ...

hog120

Well we all start somewhere  :D  Thanks for the help. 

hog120

Cazlaw

Well, since it seems like no one actually completed the answer to your question, you are right - it is the LCD.  In the 5D MkII, auto focus is disabled when Live View (the LCD) is enabled.  It has nothing to do with ML.

Africashot

Just to shed a little light here, you actually CAN use autofocus in life view by pressing the auto focus button and it will start hunting for focus while you keep it pressed, it just won't be coninuous autofocus in video or live view mode thus pretty useless and probably not what you meant when you asked for autofocus in the first place...
ML 5D2 & T3i

Doyle4

Move from Canon auto mode and put the camera into M and select magic lanterns autoexposure mode. its a lil tricky but after some tweaking i find its much better than canons auto.