lightroom hdr tonemapping, new function with lightroom 4.1

Started by screamer, July 02, 2012, 11:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screamer

Hi guys,
just discovered a new function available in lightroom. the hdr tonemapping. And in a really interesting way.
here is an example done with 9 shots taken with magic lantern hdr functions:

The workflow is quite simple, and those of you that are using lightroom and photoshop for tonemapping will find this workflow very similar to what you already do.
Open the shots in lightroom, select all the shots you want to join in an hdr, and then click with right mouse button, and in the modify menu you can find something like "join to hdrpro in photoshop" (i have the italian version of software).
So now that you are in photoshop, don't tone map here, but join the photos in a single 32bit tiff. Save the image and edit it in lightroom like every other image. And that's it. You can simply lower down the hilights and up the shadows and you have a perfect natural hdr. If you want a more hdrish look simply go up with clarity and with saturation ;)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

screamer

Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

BDM STUDIOS

Malcolm Debono

Thanks for sharing screamer! It's really useful since I do loads of HDRs and use LR to manage photos.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

screamer

i'm doing some other tests today, and can admit this is really a smart workflow, and achieving the "natural looking" result was never so simple.

photomatix

new workflow (lightroom, photoshop, lightroom)

here is another test i've done today with old 3 bracket, compared with the old one tonemapping in photomatix (yes i know, the old one is really exagerated, but anyway interesting comparison :D)
Gear:

magicman

Kim.dh

Is there any good way of masking treelines against a bright sky (which I wish to lower the exposure on) without getting ugly edges like you do when you use auto-mask?

BungToad

Your first HDR is amazing!  I favor the Photomatix HDR,  however, in your comparison photos.  The fringing on the LR/PS version is way more noticeable

scrax

fringin in LR4 is removed in snap too, there are new tools for that, and they are quite intuitive
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%