Shooting a short next weekend, scared to not handle RAW properly

Started by disfordrums, April 26, 2014, 06:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disfordrums

Quote from: SteveScout on May 03, 2014, 06:23:00 PM
For the histrogram: Ist Global Draw turned ON for recording?

Global Draw was turned on, yes.

disfordrums

So as long as the weather holds up, we're shooting this weekend, finally. I got one of our 5D III's today and tried installing the latest nightly build when I noticed a few odd things. I've installed ML on the SD card.

- when ML crashes, sometimes the module symbol completely disappears from the menu. I can't even pick raw video.
- even if I set the CF as the standard recording card, it sometimes switches to the SD card

And the weirdest of all:

- when pressing rec and shooting MLV raw, all the screen infos disappear and the only thing that is left on screen is a little camera indicating the time elapsed

We have a few CF cards but I'd prefer to keep Magic Lantern installed on the SD cards to make picking settings easier.

Would highly appreciate it if someone could point out what I'm missing!

ayshih

Quote from: disfordrums on September 10, 2014, 11:28:49 PM
- when ML crashes, sometimes the module symbol completely disappears from the menu. I can't even pick raw video.
After powering up following crashes that require a battery pull, a message should pop up for a bit that says, "Camera was not shut down cleanly.  Skipping module loading."  In other worse, modules are disabled until you have a clean shutdown.  Think of it as a safe mode in case a bad module is causing the camera to lock up.

Quote from: disfordrums on September 10, 2014, 11:28:49 PM
And the weirdest of all:

- when pressing rec and shooting MLV raw, all the screen infos disappear and the only thing that is left on screen is a little camera indicating the time elapsed
This is normal behavior when "Global Draw" is turned off in the MLV options, as is the case by default.  Note that this "Global Draw" setting is different from the "Global Draw" setting on the Overlay tab because it dictates what happens specifically during recording.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

disfordrums

awesome ayshih, thanks a lot, that clears things up!

from your experience, would you say MLV on 1.1.3 is stable enough to use on a shoot, or should I go with the plain old raw module?

SteveScout

MLV 1.1.3 is very stable now. Just shot one hour of footage over three days and only one single take had a problem, stopping during the take. Everything else was flawless.

disfordrums

Thanks for the feedback, I'm picking up our second camera tomorrow and am hoping that it's running 1.1.3 and not 1.2.3!

togg

In your opinion is it possible to sync a lot of external audio without mlv and going crazy? What are your experiences? :) Could I do that in final cut x or you only use Plural eyes 3 or similar?