Focus Stacking ML 7D

Started by ThLDQ, April 26, 2014, 11:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThLDQ

Good morning from France.
I admit that I do not use teh focus stacking feature everyday (who does ?), but each time I try to use it, I'm confused and I have to read the tutorial to remind me what to do.
Remember that the focus stacking procedure only asks you for an "end point", then for another "end point". The first one becomming a start point (well that's what I guess...).
Wouldn't it be easier to follow a procedure like tis one :
- select a start point (foreground or background)
- lock the start point
- select an end point
- lock the end point
- choose the parameters (step and so on)
You can find such a procedure in the Helicon Remote Control application : http://youtu.be/3LDSGWPNe3o.
Regards
Thierry

a1ex

The start point is where you are right now (so there is a single end point). I just don't see any reason for adding a second focus point.

You may find it easier to simply dial a number of steps before and/or after the current point, as discussed here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4747

ThLDQ

Well the topic you linked did not help me much (if someone has to read lots of topics and hundreds of messages to understand a procedure, it looks like the procedure is not as simple as expected, no ?)
I just wanted to show that the procedure is a little bit confusing comparing to those used by other applications (have you watched the Helicon Remote Focus video ?) That's all.
Helicon Remote is not the only one...
Maybe you should make a test with someone who discovers focus stacking (first with Helicon, then with ML)... I made it. That's why I dared to write this message.
Regards
Thierry

Marsu42

Quote from: ThLDQ on April 26, 2014, 07:09:10 PM
Maybe you should make a test with someone who discovers focus stacking (first with Helicon, then with ML)... I made it. That's why I dared to write this message.

I also found focus stacking confusing when getting ML, alas, the simplest way "manual focus start, press key, manual focus end, start stack" doesn't work as the Canon firmware doesn't give ML precise enough information and you have to use ML to focus the lens.

You also need to figure out what focus steps your lens needs for what aperture and object distance, but once you've done this it's really easy to work with and doesn't need a tethered laptop unlike helicon remote.

ThLDQ

You don't need a laptop : please, watch this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE19PdeN18
Why Helicon remote (and other mobile phone applications) can do it ?
Regards
Thierry

ThLDQ

Maybe I'm too stupid so you can't understand what I'm trying to explain.

During a stack focus session the camera takes pictures from one point to another.
These points are set in ML by pressing the SET button.

These points can be named :
- "A" --------> "B"
- "1" --------> "2"
- "Alpha"----> "Omega"
"Start stack focus"------> "End stack focus"
- "Start point"-----------> "End point"

In ML these two distincive points have got the SAME name "End point". This is the only thing that I consider as being confusing.

a1ex

In ML, they are called "Here" (current point) and "End point" (where it should arrive). The menu prints where the end point is located (how many steps from "here").

I've watched the video, and they also focus the lens from the app (not manually) before being able to run the stack (look at 02.00). The procedure is identical (except for the colors on the user interface).

ThLDQ

OK. Forget it.
I will engrave on my LCD screen "here" = "start point"  ::)
Regards
Thierry

Marsu42

Quote from: ThLDQ on April 27, 2014, 08:43:17 PM
I will engrave on my LCD screen "here" = "start point"  ::)

... or just sit down, change the source code and upload a pull request as everybody else with some coding skills does when he doesn't like something about ML or wants to add a feature.

Walter Schulz

This will not work out for everyone. Marsu42, I'm not a programmer (I really suck at it) and have to rely on other persons to pick up my ideas and make them work (or decline them). And when it comes to focus stacking this person is you, I suppose.

I think there is room for improvement, too.
Will join non-meta discussion after today.

Ciao
Walter

Marsu42

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 27, 2014, 09:12:05 PM
This will not work out for everyone. Marsu42, I'm not a programmer (I really suck at it) and have to rely on other persons to pick up my ideas and make them work (or decline them). And when it comes to focus stacking this person is you, I suppose.

I also wasn't born a programer, you know :-p ... small fixes are really not that hard. But of course I know that most people cannot do it, I just want to note the character of the ML project again to people drive-by requesting improvements.

But if you have any non-meta-discussion suggestions feel free to request some specific (new) improvements in the feature requests section. Actually the whole focus stacking and rack focus code could use some refactoring as a module, but alas, I'm too busy to do it atm esp. as the current solution is working fine for me.

ThLDQ

Hi Walter : thanks for your support.
Hi Marsu42.
I've lost some time trying to understand stack focus on ML this afternoon.
Maybe I'm too old, but it's still confusing me : for example I can't undestand how many pictures to take. Who decides and how ? Then when I have selected a start point, sometimes I can move the focus with the main wheel, sometimes I move inside the ML menu. The arrows move either the focus point or the focus window...
Really it's not as easy as I expected.
I've tried to find a tutorial, but those I found are too old (for example the set button is used for fixing the starting point, instead of the Q button), and they are not based on the 7d which adds a little more confusion to me.
Regards
Thierry
PS : If I was a progammer or if I had the capabilities, be sure I would propose my help and skill.

Marsu42

Quote from: ThLDQ on April 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PMfor example I can't undestand how many pictures to take. Who decides and how ?

It's calculated by the distance between start and end with your selected step size - but it says how many pictures it will be next to "Run focus stack".

Quote from: ThLDQ on April 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM
PS : If I was a progammer or if I had the capabilities, be sure I would propose my help and skill.

Um, don't make it *that* complicated, when in doubt just use "dumb" focus bracketing: Simply select a your step size, then a large number of pictures behind, manual focus the lens to the front and run the stack. When the stack has covered what you want to shoot, stop it manually (press SET).