Affordable CF cards for 7D

Started by Danialdaneshmand, April 25, 2014, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danialdaneshmand

Well i'm on tight budget here but maybe the problem is that i don't have access to that much of brands of CF's.
Silicon Power and SanDisk are only choices.
Sandisk is very pricey for me , i could only afford 8GB Extreme pro 600x (not sure)
And Silicon power 16GB 400x and 600x both were affordable.
Any experience?

Ramon

If only used for pictures, low capacity is usually not that much of a problem. 8GB will still get you around 400 raw pictures. Those will start at around $ 15.
If you're taking video, especially raw video, where write speeds as well as capacity matter a lot more.. I would save up for something better :p in that case, you will be looking at around $ 50 minimum
Why silicon power and sandisk only btw?

If you want to go really cheap, this seems to be your best option
Komputerbay 16GB CF 300X
However, this seems a way better option in the longer term to me
Komputerbay 32GB CF 266x

Sorry to say I don't have any experience with the silicon power and sandisk ones.. I do own a sandisk SD card, which is fine.

Wondering why and how you got that 7D though :p

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: Ramon on April 26, 2014, 01:46:47 AM
If only used for pictures, low capacity is usually not that much of a problem. 8GB will still get you around 400 raw pictures. Those will start at around $ 15.
If you're taking video, especially raw video, where write speeds as well as capacity matter a lot more.. I would save up for something better :p in that case, you will be looking at around $ 50 minimum
Why silicon power and sandisk only btw?

If you want to go really cheap, this seems to be your best option
Komputerbay 16GB CF 300X
However, this seems a way better option in the longer term to me
Komputerbay 32GB CF 266x

Sorry to say I don't have any experience with the silicon power and sandisk ones.. I do own a sandisk SD card, which is fine.

Wondering why and how you got that 7D though :p
Thanks Ramon

I explained about the brands , sadly International shopping is not available in our country for now due to politics issues.
and about the 7D , i don't really understand your wonder
lots of people owns this beast and i picked it up as a second hand camera with a very good price.
but for now it's not with me and i'm using my 2years-old D5100 which is totally fine... ish
but of course ML is something else.

I will be doing Raw video but not quite sure how much speed does it need in FullHD or less (I couldn't find a topic for this matter)
and photos as well (more than video)
Kumputerbay seems to be a popular brand i heard it many times.

Ramon

Ahh, sucks mate. What country if I may ask? The 7D is just expensive compared to some other options, but yea it's very nice.
Haha :p for 1920 x 1080 raw 24p, you will need about 90 MB/s write speed.. I however have no experience with this.

More about this can be found here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6712.0;viewresults or http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5391.0

If you do want to be recording fullhd raw, you won't be able to use 8GB cards.. because those won't even hold 2 minutes of 1920 x 1080 24p raw. Yep it's that big :p

For photos.. as I said, the capacity will probably not be that much of a problem, and you will also not need the extreme write speeds.
If you want a recommendation.. In your case, I would go with one of the "Sandisk Extreme Pro" cards (64GB maybe). They will get you high enough write speeds, and about 12 minutes of raw 1920x1080 24p. If you can't spend that, just go with the extreme cheap ones until you can spend it ;\

ted ramasola

The affordable CF cards for the 7D are Komputerbay CF cards.

If you need to be able to use the full potential of your 7D with ML and shoot Raw video you would need the CF cards at 1000X or higher.

If you decide to go the Komputerbay route, choose the 64gig 1000X since they are more proven and tested. The 128gig 1000X are a bit slower than the 64gig version and the 128 gig 1050X are a little slower than the 128gig 1000X.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

pv25pv

Quote from: Danialdaneshmand on April 25, 2014, 10:52:32 PM
i could only afford 8GB Extreme pro 600x &  I will be doing Raw video
not good :)
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: Ramon on April 29, 2014, 09:48:06 PM
Ahh, sucks mate. What country if I may ask? The 7D is just expensive compared to some other options, but yea it's very nice.
Haha :p for 1920 x 1080 raw 24p, you will need about 90 MB/s write speed.. I however have no experience with this.

More about this can be found here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6712.0;viewresults or http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5391.0

If you do want to be recording fullhd raw, you won't be able to use 8GB cards.. because those won't even hold 2 minutes of 1920 x 1080 24p raw. Yep it's that big :p

For photos.. as I said, the capacity will probably not be that much of a problem, and you will also not need the extreme write speeds.
If you want a recommendation.. In your case, I would go with one of the "Sandisk Extreme Pro" cards (64GB maybe). They will get you high enough write speeds, and about 12 minutes of raw 1920x1080 24p. If you can't spend that, just go with the extreme cheap ones until you can spend it ;\
Yeah it really does , although i'm too far away from America anyway (Iran)
brands like Transcend , Patriot and Kingston Are still options here but the Komputerbay i never heard it before ML in here.

Seems like i gotta say goodbye to a lens for a fat speedy memory card.
But Also wanted to ask what are the thoughts on lower Resolutions?
Like does 720p needs the half speed and half space of a 1080p file?

Ramon

Quote from: Danialdaneshmand on May 03, 2014, 02:10:48 PM
Yeah it really does , although i'm too far away from America anyway (Iran)
brands like Transcend , Patriot and Kingston Are still options here but the Komputerbay i never heard it before ML in here.

Seems like i gotta say goodbye to a lens for a fat speedy memory card.
But Also wanted to ask what are the thoughts on lower Resolutions?
Like does 720p needs the half speed and half space of a 1080p file?

I'm doing 1344 x 562 24p on SD cards which write 30 MB/s, so yea that's a possibility that will result in something like this:

1344 x 562 are less pixels than 1280 x 720, full 720 24p will take about 38 MB/s, while full 1080 24p will take over 80 MB/s

In my opinion, raw at 1344 x 562 looks way better than regular H.264 on 1080.. Even tiny details are much more visible with raw. Plus you get more colors, higher dynamic range and more post 'wiggle room' ;) But if you can get full sized raw, then go for it :)

Hope this helped ^^