New vertical line issue? 1_2_3 build.

Started by giarcpnw, April 24, 2014, 10:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Some demosaicing algorithms were designed with this issue in mind, others assume this issue either does not exist or was corrected before this step. Raw2dng attempts to fix the vertical lines, but does nothing about green equilibration (because I don't remember anyone else reporting this issue, but vertical stripes were very common).

Also, 1x and 3x are two different sensor scanning modes, so the differences are expected.

giarcpnw

Thanks A1ex, for explaining this and putting up with all my questions.   I'll send "Baldand" this thread and see if he can fix the line issues in MLRawViewer.

Craig

jgerstel

Hi, they fixed it in MLV Mystic for Mac. There is a tick box Vertical Stripes Fix. If they are willing to share their code, maybe you can fix it also for the ML tools.

a1ex

They say MLV Mystic is based on mlv_dump and raw2dng, which are the official ML tools. The fix was written by me a long time ago.

Since they do not include our official binaries, they must share their source code, as discussed here.

danielschweinert

Hi craig,
I've got the same vertical banding but it has been solved with the new version of RawMagic.
Take a look at my blog post for more info:
http://www.schweinert.com/blog/files/13c6915054746061199bd8cbb982bc1a-50.html

Ewald

Hi Craig

I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to sort out these vertical lines.. as I have them  as well and not sure this is due to 5D and ML setting not corresponding. I shoot 1080 / 25ALLi on 5D and the latest firmware 1.2.3 and the latest build from Magic Lantern 8 August 2014. I get these lines soon as I export my cDNG files from MLV using Magic RAW.

Its already a hefty process in post working with these files and adding in extra software to eliminate the lines seems a step unnecessary.

Which Build are you talking about that has the fix as I installed one from August 2014 and still have lines. Any idea if there is even a newer build.

Thanks

giarcpnw

Ewald,

As you can see from this string, it was proven not to be a specific ML version issues. I tried 1.1.3 and then 1.2.3 and still got them. Different builds did not make a difference. The only place i did NOT get line was in x3 crop mode. I never really got a logical answer why that was but maybe the sensor data is handled differently in that mode.

I was able to get rid off the bands by using different conversion apps. Raw Magic and MLV Mystic seemed to fix it while MLRawViewer did not. They may have fixed it by now. It's basically if the creator codes in an algorithm to fix the banding in the conversion to DNG process. It's apparently on the raw sensor data which Magic Lantern has no control of. You can also use Adobe Camera Raw and mess with the masking settings to get rid of them across skies and wall. One of my posts describes the process.

Good luck.