render settings in AE for dng files

Started by fenix, April 24, 2014, 02:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenix

I just started using AE cc to format to prores 422.  My Machine is only a Imac i7 so I know it is not supposed to be super fast.  I am seeing 5 minute wait times per 10-15 second shots.  Does anyone have, or can lead me to a post with the specific output module settings they have had success with?

Thanks

Midphase

Dunno if there are any faster settings. I think the bottleneck is AE.

You might want to look into Resolve, or maybe MLRawViewer

fenix

Thanks for the quick reply.  The reason I tried using AE is becasue I am really liking the look from Camera raw.  Instead of waiting for all my Tiffs to save in cr it has been easier just opening them up in AE(then I can set a render que and move on to other things).  I have not used the MLRawViewer but I will check that out.  I have thought about getting a mac pro to deal with the files, but some online reviews stated it has not really sped the process up that much in AE.

Thanks

reddeercity

Quote from: fenix on April 24, 2014, 02:35:08 AM
I just started using AE cc to format to prores 422.  My Machine is only a Imac i7 so I know it is not supposed to be super fast.  I am seeing 5 minute wait times per 10-15 second shots.  Does anyone have, or can lead me to a post with the specific output module settings they have had success with?

Thanks
I use After Effect CC on Mac I convert all my Cdngs to ProRes 4444 in a 32bit float project, what is your GPU ? NVidia ? are you using Cuda acceleration ? how much ram
are you running? A.E. is a resource hog, I see about 3to1 ratio take 3minute to compress about a 1mintue of Raw Cdng's .
A hint when you are about to render press the tab key that disable the preview and will speed thinks up.
And you are right ACR is much better then resolve's debayering . If you edit in Adobe, the new raw2cdng 1.5.0 beta3 exports a compliant no pink hi-light Cdng
file for Premiere Pro native editing, looks good.
The problem with MLRawViewer, is there no camera raw plugin to work with so what's the uses, no real hi light recover etc... so  A.E. is a little slower but better job in the end, I think .

far.in.out

EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

SteveScout

We once used Lagarith and huffyuv but in 64bit environments they produced problems when we switches to Win7 x64. Before using those "older unmaintained" codecs make sure they work in your application even in native 64bit environments, otherwise it´s painful to convert.

I´d go with DnxHD on Win or ProRes on a Mac, but of course there are some artifacts in comparison to Lagarith.