RAW vs H264 comparison (+ downloadable sample)

Started by EXIV, April 23, 2014, 03:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EXIV

Few weeks ago I have made a video comparison between the H264 and ML raw. Someone on YouTube asked to share a sample so it will be possible to properly compare the files. I have uploaded a sample on Wetransfer, the link will last only until the 30th of April, so hurry up and grab it before it's too late! Here is the link http://we.tl/tE5wwrxhaj

And this is the video comparison.

I have edited the footage without grading it, so to make it easier to compare the quality between the H264 and RAW.

By the way, that is my collection of Rubik's cubes, and other puzzles... some of which I have created my self.

The video has been shot on:
Canon 5D Mark III
Tamron SP 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 USD
CF Lexar Professional 1000x 32GB

Special thanks to EXIV

Music: "Yiourgh" by DoKashiteru (feat. Coblat)
http://ccmixter.org/files/DoKashiteru/21394
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

MGerard

Thank you very much for posting this! Excuse me for asking, but why does your comparison not show the resolution difference between raw and h.264? When I compared the two different recording modes at 1080p, there was a noticeable difference in actual frame size. I feel puzzled  ::)

EXIV

Quote from: MGerard on April 23, 2014, 07:45:41 AM
Thank you very much for posting this! Excuse me for asking, but why does your comparison not show the resolution difference between raw and h.264? When I compared the two different recording modes at 1080p, there was a noticeable difference in actual frame size. I feel puzzled  ::)

Hi, I adapted the raw footage in order to get the same exact size, in order to make it easy to compare the quality. And then I offered this downloadable sample so everyone who is interested can see how is the original footage I worked with. Hope this helps. Take care.

dubzeebass

This misses the point of raw vs h264. Do a version with a profound amount of dynamic range and you'll actually see it shine.

MGerard

Quote from: EXIV on April 24, 2014, 02:17:27 AM
Hi, I adapted the raw footage in order to get the same exact size, in order to make it easy to compare the quality. And then I offered this downloadable sample so everyone who is interested can see how is the original footage I worked with. Hope this helps. Take care.

Hum, I really don't know if downsizing the raw size actually is a good quality comparison. What I really like about ML raw (apart from the color depth and grade-ability) is the incredible increase in detail when compared to h.264. It gets rid of that "blurry" look that is, by the way, also there when you record externally in 4:2:2.

Scott Free

I agree MGerrard, the increase in detail in incredible, but the real trick of RAW for me is what 14bit colour does for you. All those colours help create separation, the focussed subject stands out much more from the scene but more than that, the colour information also increases the sense of depth to the image.

EXIV

Quote from: dubzeebass on April 25, 2014, 02:59:43 PM
This misses the point of raw vs h264. Do a version with a profound amount of dynamic range and you'll actually see it shine.

I shoot in raw, and I appreciate the advantage of it especially in terms of post-production, as I can really color correct it as I want without damaging the footage (i do that in Lightroom) the rest is just what you see in the video... the difference in term of quality and details is significant but not massive. That's my point of view (please consider that I use ML since the very beginning, and I really appreciate it).