2014: NEW Current Raw Capabilities

Started by rainless, March 28, 2014, 04:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

Quote from: anandkamal on April 21, 2014, 01:19:44 PM
hi i would like to stay with 1.1.3 for a while because i have started using it for a serious video purpose. But i have been noticing that .mlv can be preferred to .raw since it is under focus by developers currently. I would like to know if continuous shoot can be done with .mlv_rec, greater than 4GB file, without splitting? like in .raw?? if so how? thanks

Yes, simply:

1. Format your CF card as ExFAT (on a computer)

2. Change the setting in your ML video options for files > 4Gb.

MGerard

Just out of curiosity... am I the only one who gets much more stable results (0 skipped frames @ 1080-25p) with in-camera FAT formatted CFs? Just came home from a job, no problems at all. A while back I tried the same thing with the same CFs and ExFAT, and I had a lot of errors due to skipped frames...

-sandro-

There's one thing I never understood :) If cameras limited to 21MB/s the card speed is the bottleneck why going the JPEG way? I mean if the camera is able to capture 26 RAW frames in about 1 second why not capture the same frames in JPEG in 2K (to get the best resolution) in a way every second you don't over 21MB/s... of course assuming the software camera can do that like if it was video and not be limited by the burst mode for pictures!

Also wouldn't be amazing if the HDMI output could be used to transfer data? All cameras would become REDs :D

Midphase

Quote from: -sandro- on April 24, 2014, 05:44:38 PM
There's one thing I never understood :) If cameras limited to 21MB/s the card speed is the bottleneck why going the JPEG way? I mean if the camera is able to capture 26 RAW frames in about 1 second why not capture the same frames in JPEG in 2K (to get the best resolution) in a way every second you don't over 21MB/s... of course assuming the software camera can do that like if it was video and not be limited by the burst mode for pictures!

Also wouldn't be amazing if the HDMI output could be used to transfer data? All cameras would become REDs :D

Sandro,

You need to spend some time on the General Development part of the forum and start reading some of the more technical posts.

The answer to your question is CPU. There just isn't enough CPU speed on the cameras to convert 24 frames per second to JPEG, not even close.

As far as the HDMI output, HDMI is a standard set in place, with controller chips which obey that standard. It is not a faucet that you can pipe anything you want through. Raw data, JPEG, or other formats are simply incompatible with HDMI and can't be transferred through it. Further, you would need a recording device which could understand what type of data is being recorded, and no such device exists.

If you want a camera which is affordable, records in high resolution, is pretty stable and reliable with the least amount of compromises, you should look into what Blackmagic has to offer you.

-sandro-

Quote from: Midphase on April 24, 2014, 07:14:31 PM
Sandro,

You need to spend some time on the General Development part of the forum and start reading some of the more technical posts.

The answer to your question is CPU. There just isn't enough CPU speed on the cameras to convert 24 frames per second to JPEG, not even close.

As far as the HDMI output, HDMI is a standard set in place, with controller chips which obey that standard. It is not a faucet that you can pipe anything you want through. Raw data, JPEG, or other formats are simply incompatible with HDMI and can't be transferred through it. Further, you would need a recording device which could understand what type of data is being recorded, and no such device exists.

If you want a camera which is affordable, records in high resolution, is pretty stable and reliable with the least amount of compromises, you should look into what Blackmagic has to offer you.

Thank you for the clarification.

chmee

quite funny, my app is not listed.. seems its

* "some of the more redundant programs"
or
* not mac'ish enough..

:D regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

rainless

Quote from: chmee on April 24, 2014, 11:57:32 PM
quite funny, my app is not listed.. seems its

* "some of the more redundant programs"
or
* not mac'ish enough..

:D regards chmee

You poor thing... (look again...)  ;D
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models