FFMPEG now officially supports Magic Lantern Video

Started by g3gg0, April 22, 2014, 01:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piloui

Yeah, MLV and ML are becoming a reference !
Does this mean native support in software like adobe suite ? No dng extraction and no intermediate conversion would be a huge time gain !

Malex

Bravo! Nice move! Playing .mlv with vlc sounds cool, can't wait.

Quote from: piloui on April 24, 2014, 12:13:21 AM
Does this mean native support in software like adobe suite ?
Nope it doesn't mean that, we all are considered a little group of hackers by Canon and Adobe, there will be no support for mlv in Adobe's softwares, except from 3th party plugin maker maybe. If one day they do support .mlv I'll give away my 5DIII!
My only hope is better Cdng support for Premiere & Speedgrade in the next update.

painya

Quote from: Malex on April 24, 2014, 12:42:34 AM
Bravo! Nice move! Playing .mlv with vlc sounds cool, can't wait.
Nope it doesn't mean that, we all are considered a little group of hackers by Canon and Adobe, there will be no support for mlv in Adobe's softwares, except from 3th party plugin maker maybe. If one day they do support .mlv I'll give away my 5DIII!
My only hope is better Cdng support for Premiere & Speedgrade in the next update.
Makes sense, I'd love to see an ffmpeg powered plug in.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

chmee

ffmpeg is called in german a "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (jack of all trades device?!) - but its not that fast, it can provide a importer/wrapper for premiere. No, i dont see any real advantages for the adobe-world, the next update will give us some prove, if adobe does a good job in cdng-things. (i believe in that)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Toffifee

PTRush

Imagine a converter that would transcode to R3D. Now that would be golden!!!

Toffifee

Midphase

R3D is a variant of JPEG2000, but yes, it is protected and RED is notoriously litigious.

meditant

Where can i find a compiled version for mac os x with mlv support, i try somes ffmpeg for mac os x but none can decode mlv ?

Best regards

ch_d

Quote from: meditant on May 09, 2014, 04:14:28 PM
Where can i find a compiled version for mac os x with mlv support, i try somes ffmpeg for mac os x but none can decode mlv ?

Best regards

+1
5D MII

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 22, 2014, 01:06:42 AM
the nightly build of ffmpeg already can play .mlv videos using ffplay

if there are no nightlies for osx, then you should either compile it yourself or wait.
as it isnt finished yet, its just for developers/experienced users anyway.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Toffifee

This will eventually creep it's way into VLC, correct?

budafilms

tin2tin

tin2tin

AWPStar

Got APPCRASH in ffmpeg. win 7 64. Any builds with any date, 64 and 32 bits. FFPlay is working fine.
MLVProducer. p.s. sorry for my bad english.

escho

Just for info:
I updated the ffmpeg-version to 2.3.3. and tried it with MLV.
- ffplay plays the MLV
- ffmpeg decodes MLV to avi (for example)
Both, ffmpeg and ffplay- output is very dark, maybe I must try to use the EQ-filter.
Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

gnarr

it's the same for me, but it only outputs the first few frames and then loops them. The sound sometimes plays on, but usually it loops with the video. It's all dark and clearly not working right.

AWPStar

Did ffmpeg guys some steps to improve quality? i remember it was pretty cheep.
MLVProducer. p.s. sorry for my bad english.

domasa

How can I play *.raw video from 5D2 (not *.mlv)?

This does not work:
ffplay.exe -f rawvideo -video_size 1792x1008 -framerate 25 video.raw
(Source: https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#rawvideo)

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ChristianEOS

A few days I am playing with Ubuntu and Kubuntu. MLV App works brillant. Faster than windows 10. Just Fix Bad Pixel (Map) doesn't register the wrong pixel dots. But it should also be possible to play MLV's with the VLC player.
I tried:
sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin-libde265
I didn't find an obvious solution?
Christian Bruno James

masc

Quote from: ChristianEOS on February 24, 2021, 10:28:38 PM
A few days I am playing with Ubuntu and Kubuntu. MLV App works brillant. Faster than windows 10. Just Fix Bad Pixel (Map) doesn't register the wrong pixel dots.
It works also on Linux, but not if you use (readonly) AppImage (did you?). If you extract the image it works like on any Win/macOS.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202