Started by afroxfilm, February 06, 2014, 01:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afroxfilm

afroxfilm

N/A

Which camera? List some details.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

afroxfilm

Canon 5D Mark ii, shot at 1504x640 (Mürrenvideo) and 1880x800 (Schlöööf).
Converted RAW files with RAWMagic, colour corrected the footage with Camera Raw in Photoshop (desaturated a little bit, took the reds out quite a bit and also took out some noise with the luminance setting), exported to TIFF and imported into a Compound Clip in FCPX. There I desaturated 100% and tweaked the exposure for black, mids and whites.

I guess the flicker in a few shots (especially in the Mürrenvideo) comes from pushing the exposure in Camera RAW a bit too much.

Only downside of this Workflow ist that FCPX doesn't really like it when you import 1800 TIFF files at once...

afroxfilm

Shot in RAW with Magic Lantern on a Canon 5d MKII
Converted to DNG's with RawMagic
Created Proxies with Davinci Resolve
Edited in FCPX
Imported XML to Davinci Resolve and reconnected clips with original footage
Colourcorrection and Grading in Davinci
Export to ProRes 4444
Reimported to FCPX
Added Grain and did last few tweaks with exposure settings in FCPX.
Exported final clip to ProRes 422(HQ).

nikki

for B&W is it better to shoot in raw or just in camera especially with 5d 2...?

mdwhaley

Nice music video afroxfilm! i am sitting there watching it thinking to myself "this video would be so much better with an audience in it" right then I see the door and then the audience comes rushing in...Sweet!

Quote from: afroxfilm on March 31, 2014, 09:27:41 PM
Shot in RAW with Magic Lantern on a Canon 5d MKII
Converted to DNG's with RawMagic
Created Proxies with Davinci Resolve
Edited in FCPX
Imported XML to Davinci Resolve and reconnected clips with original footage
Colourcorrection and Grading in Davinci
Export to ProRes 4444
Reimported to FCPX
Added Grain and did last few tweaks with exposure settings in FCPX.
Exported final clip to ProRes 422(HQ).

afroxfilm

Quote from: nikki on April 11, 2014, 08:46:54 PM
for B&W is it better to shoot in raw or just in camera especially with 5d 2...?

I wasn't sure myself, that's why I did a bit of testing before the actual video shoot. And looking back I must say that shooting in RAW really gave me tons of more Information to pull from, especially having to shoot the whole video in one day with different lighting situations and not much time at all to adjust the lighting and cam settings for each set. If you look at the short scene with the 4 grownups and the baby (4:50), the background was basically a black hole before colour correction. Shooting in RAW I was able to pull out all the details without too much of a noise.
And besides the big advantages for colour correction, shooting in RAW gives you a far better and sharper image:Even though I had to drop the resolution to 1738x840 (because my Mark ii wouldn't record continuously above that), the resulting image is far better than a h264 in 1920x1080. And the last advantage for shooting in RAW for B&W ist the big freedom you have in adjusting the contrast and palette of whites and blacks in post to fit your taste. I definitely will continue shooting in RAW for any Music Video work that's coming my way. Cheers

Quote from: mdwhaley on April 12, 2014, 03:23:01 AM
Nice music video afroxfilm! i am sitting there watching it thinking to myself "this video would be so much better with an audience in it" right then I see the door and then the audience comes rushing in...Sweet!

Thanks mdwhaley!

Cheers, Steve