Where can i find the Black Level and White Level

Started by dannyqt18, April 21, 2014, 03:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyqt18

I shot a video these past few days and unfortunatly all the frames have that pink cast. After a bit of research i now know that i have to set the black level and white level for each DNG file.
Problem is i can't find out where the correct values are.

I shot using MLV format  + MLVSound.

I converted the files in to RAW, but RAW2DNG also shows 1024 and 15000 so no luck there.

Any help would be apreciated.

Midphase

Are you trying to edit the footage in Premiere Pro?

dannyqt18

right now i'm at the stage of trying to fix the PINK CAST with the accuate black and white levels, within the DNG files.

I edited the EXIF and tried to aproximate the black level and got close, was just wondering where i could get the exact numbers.

dmilligan

g3gg0

a) download latest mlv_dump and process the files using
mlv_dump --black-fix=2048 -o out.mlv in.mlv (or 1024, 1700, 1650 depending on what looks better)

b) if you have DNGs use exiftool and set black level to 2048 (or 1024, 1700, 1650 depending on what looks better)

pick one
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

lonestar

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 21, 2014, 10:30:34 PM
a) download latest mlv_dump and process the files using
mlv_dump --black-fix=2048 -o out.mlv in.mlv (or 1024, depending on what looks better)

b) if you have DNGs use exiftool and set black level to 2048 (or 1024, depending on what looks better)

pick one
Thanks g3gg0, but would you explain a little more where should I apply this command line "mlv_dump --black-fix=2048 -o out.mlv in.mlv".

chmee

the intention is, to rewrite the data inside the mlv. thats it. depending on your filestructure you have to use according paths to show on your mlv-files.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

lonestar

Quote from: chmee on April 27, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
the intention is, to rewrite the data inside the mlv. thats it. depending on your filestructure you have to use according paths to show on your mlv-files.

Hi,chmee, I'm using raw2cdng to convert my files, is there way to set black level in raw2cdng, can you provide a example or link for me to read some detail operation of this, thank you.

chmee

no. my converter has no manual possibilities to change the black/whitelevel. g3gg0s hints are the best ways. i already thought about a small helper tool for reading properties, changing some and maybe fixing the footer of raw-files. but thats by now just in my mind :)

by the way: did you get the same results if you used another converters? its interesting for me indeed, because i test my software only with my 5DIII (Blacklevel 2048~). What Body do you have and did you tried the Blacklevel-fix inside the body (before recording)?
Quote..After some trial and error I figured out it was caused by the "Fix black level" set to ON...
(from other thread)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

lonestar

I used my friend's 5d2, black level fix in camera was on when I shot, the camera is not with me right now.
I have a lot of footages which I want to use, that's why I want to fix this issue on my footages.
I just used mlv_dump, and the command line to set the black level, the pink/magenta cast now become some green cast now. both 2048 and 1024. I  really have no idea what to do now.

ted ramasola

I also had this problem and using the mlv dump via command line also produced greenish shadows in both 2048 or 1024 values.

Perhaps the black fix should be OFF by default, at least on the 5D2 that I tested. This is bound to cause problems more than its fixing.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Audionut

ted ramasola

Quote from: Audionut on April 29, 2014, 04:23:42 AM
On 5D2, the black level may be around 1700 too.

Thanks Audionut,

1700 works. Its not perfect but its "fixable". I find it difficult to remove the greens in ACR but easier in Resolve.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Audionut

If there is still a cast in the blacks, the black level is not correctly set.

It may be 1750, or 1650, or some other value that is close to 1700.

ted ramasola

1750 and 1800 seemed to do it. An arri LUT in resolve also added to the fix.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ultimatemale

Just shot a music video on ML-RAW (not MLV)
Canon 5D3 1.2.3
ML build March 17th
Converted with RAWmagic lite
I use an apple Imac

I am not a computer genius or even know anything about coding. Can someone be kind enough and take the time to give me a step by step tut on how to save these files pls

When i view the converted dng file, it shows up as this-

But when i open up in Resolve, ACR of LR it shows up as this-

Any advise as to how i can recover this footage?