Raw files speedup videos!

Started by johnny5d, April 19, 2014, 11:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5d

After converting my 5dmkii RAW videos the clips looks to speedy! My in camera settings was set to 1600x900 record in 23,97 and 50shutter. Created a file in after effects and renderd out in sony vegas 23,97 fps..

Can someone help me out? it is realy frustrating!

Rendering settings:

Mainconcept AVC/ACC mp4
Main
two pass 50 mbs

Kind regads,

Johnny

romainmenke

how did you interpret the footage?

The output frame rate is irrelevant to the speed as After Effects will keep the speed of your comp, but add or remove frames.
So right click your source file, choose modify and interpret footage, there you set your recording frame rate

johnny5d

Thank you for the tip. I will try that!
How about export settings? What do you recommend as my video still does not shine with 50mbs :(

Africashot

Export to an intraframe codec from After effects (cineform, dnxhd, legarith) and to h.264 out of vegas, 50 mbs is way more then you'll need, your HD video should also look good at 10 mbs, if it doesn't there might be other reasons...
ML 5D2 & T3i

johnny5d

What I do is:

RAWtoDNG then Photoshop raw where I convert them to PSD. Because my AF cs4 won't open camera RAW neither TIF files for some reasons.

Then in AF import multiple files. New composition make it 1600x600 like my files lock aspect ratio checked. Square pixel and 23,97 fps.

Then move the file in the AF box below and hit "Make Movie" then hit Best settings and only change fps to 23,97 and go to loss less here I change the format quicktime and go to AvidxnHD again change fps and set resolution to 1080p 23,97 DNxHD 444 10 bit. And render out. While rendering the video in the preview box looks amazing cristal clear! But not when its finished :(

Then sony vegas and render uit to the settings in my first post.

What have I forgotten?

At least the frame rate looks good now thank you Africashot! Only the crispness !!! please help :)

romainmenke

I don't know Sony Vegas, but I can share my workflow:

before filming:
-decide on resolution and fps (shooting everything in the same fps and also exporting to this gives a better result)
-shoot raw

-convert to jpg with adobe camera raw (tiff or psd or cinema dng will ofcours also work, but jpgs are fine for most of my work since I do the color correct in ACR)
-import the jpg's as a sequence
-change the frame rate of the footage
-do the after effects stuff
-render to quicktime animation or prores (basically any uncompressed format, takes up a lot of space and slows down your workflow, but it has the best quality)
-open this in premiere pro
-start editing
-export multiple files for all purposes (vimeo youtube dvd ....)

some pointers for uploading:
-vimeo gives better video result because it doesn't compres your video as much as youtube.
-a 50mbs file will look worse than a 5mbs file uploaded to youtube. (youtube might not recompress your 5mbs file and ae and pr pro do a better job at compressing than youtube)
-use the presets, they are pretty good

some general pointers:
-changing the fps (not slowing down or speeding up) can give bad results because the software had to delete or interpolate frames
-in AE an PR Pro when rendering make sure the "use previews" box is not checked. They will not render your movie correctly, but just use crappy preview files to make your export file
-get the right resolution straight from ACR or other Raw software. They will do a better job since they have all the data from the raw file to work with.
-try not to make too many intermediate renders. optimal workflow: ML raw => Cine DNG => Premiere Pro (from Premiere Pro you can acces AE without rendering) => final export

johnny5d

Thank you all!

Look at the result now on my test video it looks much better!

romainmenke

can you post what you changed in your workflow?
Helpful for others when they read this thread having the same question.

On another note...
A lot of clips in the video are out of focus and show a lot of movement in close up.
Not an expert but I would try a slightly faster shutter speed and stop down the lens a bit, or practice the focus before each shot.

johnny5d

Yes thats a good one! Focus is a bit harder to do on fullframe! Specialy when you use a 50mm 1.8 at 2.0 like I did in some shots! All shots where hand held with the neckstrap tide with stretched arms to reduce shaking! First time ever I did use my 5D mkii... I realy love my camera and always dreamed about been a owner of the mkii. I did some video work 5 years ago with the 550d till people ask me to make more often video then pictures. thats why I decide to sell everything for a better video camera the GH2 also love that camera. The problem was that I did miss the great picture quality on my 550d. 2 years later I sold everything for again 550d.. and did more photo work again! Bit later on I did a upgrade to the classic 5D mk1.. wow amazing quality compared to 550d! I had a couple good lenses and a speedlite flash! Also did some very nice photo jobs with it! It was love at first sight!.. but now 2 years of 5d mk1 people are still telling me how they like my videos. I realy missed video and made a hard decision to sell eveything except my nifty fifty 50mm 1.8. And bought the great and finaly (for me) 5D mkii! New love especialy with raw capabilities! I ony need a good card the only card I use is a 4gb 30mb/s that gives me 4 to 5 seconds raw footage with 1600x600 resolution :'(.... But I have to say that the stock hd footage of the 5d mkii is also very nice filmy thats the reason why I always dreamed about having the 5D mkii.

Well my post workflow for now with RAW:

RAW resolution 1600x900 - RAW2DNG - photoshop cs5 for the camera RAW load everything in there and make changes from here I save all to PSD or TiFF - lead that files in AF (after effects) change fps by right click on the video then interpet hit main and set the fps to 23,97 then new composition and again set 23,97fps. Then hit make movie from the composition dropdown and go for quicktime and use codec avidnxhd 23,97fps 10bit 444 1920x1080 from the dropdown. Render out and use that file in sonyvegas 12 where I make changes and finaly render out with sony avc mp4 with the internet full hd 16mbs template! Im still learning for the best settings but this is what I do today :) thanks for all your support!