700D quality on wide angle lenses

Started by C700d, December 24, 2018, 03:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C700d

Thanks dfort I will look into this.

At the moment my set up is as follows:

Non crop mode - Recording in 1736 x 976 x 30 fps x 14 bit lossless- There is still aliasing, which is normal but the quality is better for sure.
Crop mode - Recording in 1920-1080 x 30 fps x 14 bit loseless - The aliasing is much better but I worry about being able to compose shots well enough as well as recording on the move.

I can record in crop mode in higher quality but not for very long (8-12 seconds) for example 2520x1080 30fps x 10 bit lossless but another problem is I'm trying to match drone shot aspect ratio with the 700D, so that resolution makes everything go out of whack. Getting there slowly though, thanks everyone. I'll update with MLVapp examples soon. Again, really appriciated.

I'm sure I'll be back.

dfort

You are using "zoom" mode. You'll get longer recording time and easier to use framing with "Movie crop mode" from the ML Movie menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C700d

Hi dfort, again thank you. I've just tried this and it brings my resolution down to 1800x1008 ...normal?

Also, does the option "crop mode" need to be on at all? I know that sounds stupid, but it's been off this whole time and if I select it it only has the one option of 720p 3x3 which is something, I don't fully understand yet.

IDA_ML

C700d,

You are wasting valuable time, (not only yours !!!), asking too much on this forum, instead of testing your camera by yourself.  You received tons of valuable information already and if you read it once again very carefully, you will understand how your camera works, what its limitations are and what is doable with it and what not.  Just install one of the latest builds, (preferably one with SD-card overclocking), sit down for a few hours and test all recording options available.  In this way, you will not only see which ones work best for your needs but will also understand what to expect from your camera in terms of resolution, frame rates, video quality, etc., at the different bit rates and how to handle specific filming situations.  Nobody can do this better for you than yourself.  Note that the perfect build that does everything you expect has not been created yet and will probably never be created but experimental builds that squeeze every bit of performance out of our cameras do exist and are readily available.  Some of them are even stable enough to get the job done in real life filming conditions.  Just grab one of them, practice a little bit to learn how to use it and go ahead and shoot some video.

And finally, a friendly and good minded advice.  Stop shooting and pixel peeping wires and these ugly transformer posts on the streets.  There are much more exciting objects to film out there, especially over this time of the year.  Just go out, find them and film them.  If you expose to the right, focus precisely and compose your shots nicely, your 700D will not only shine but will also exceed your expectations, believe me.

Good luck and don't forget to post some stunning videos on the forum!

dfort

Quote from: C700d on December 28, 2018, 09:44:20 AM
...I've just tried this and it brings my resolution down to 1800x1008 ...normal?

Yes.

Quote from: C700d on December 28, 2018, 09:44:20 AM
... Also, does the option "crop mode" need to be on at all? ...

Movie crop mode and the crop_rec module are two different animals. They can't be used at the same time.

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 28, 2018, 04:29:31 PM
You are wasting valuable time...

Aren't we all?  :P

IDA_ML

Quote from: dfort on December 28, 2018, 05:08:30 PM

No, we are just testing like crazy what others have coded for us!  Did you test your EOS M with the latest build by Danne yet  ;) ;) ;) ?  But I am warning you - put something underneath your jaw, so it doesn't drop too badly  :-\  :o :o !  Mine did but I love my 100D now more than ever!  :P

dfort

Quote from: dfort on December 28, 2018, 05:08:30 PM

Wasting our time -- that was a rhetorical question. Just being my existential self.

C700d

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 28, 2018, 04:29:31 PM
C700d,

You are wasting valuable time, (not only yours !!!), asking too much on this forum, instead of testing your camera by yourself.

That's all I've been doing for the last 3 months, although the speed hack slipped me by.

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 28, 2018, 04:29:31 PMYou received tons of valuable information already and if you read it once again very carefully, you will understand how your camera works, what its limitations are and what is doable with it and what not.
I would also argue I know what is possible with my camera, hence my posts here, asking for your valuable information in how to achieve it.

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 28, 2018, 04:29:31 PMAnd finally, a friendly and good minded advice.  Stop shooting and pixel peeping wires and these ugly transformer posts on the streets.  There are much more exciting objects to film out there, especially over this time of the year.
They were near me at the time and seemed a good example to test for aliasing, which was the main issue apart from the low resolution, I know they are ugly as sin. I will go out with these new settings and film something prettier, that's not too difficult.

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 28, 2018, 04:29:31 PMJust go out, find them and film them.  If you expose to the right, focus precisely and compose your shots nicely, your 700D will not only shine but will also exceed your expectations, believe me.

I know, but it's easy to say that when you understand and finally have a build and settings that work for you. I am nearing that stage but I won't get there unless I ask questions, usually infuriatingly questions, that are simple to others. As you say time is valuable and sometimes a simple question takes the longest to find the answer. Look, I apologise if I've wasted anyones time but I am short on time and need to get the best results from the camera ASAP. The information given so far has been great I agree, but in my experience with ML, I get so far then another problem arises that stops me, and usually there isn't a quick answer on the forums or through the search (which I always do first, an example being how to install the SD card hack, I had to use a build with it pre-installed), yet sometimes it's quicker to just ask someone in the know and in the now. Yes, annoying, but it helps me quicker and I appriciate it! I will try not to ask anymore "silly" questions as I'm quite happy with the results, my last few posts are simply me running into problems recording in crop mode, with the liveview being difficult to see what is being accurately recorded. - If you can find me anywhere in the forum that explains this accurately, then please link as I am unable to find myself through the search and that would save you time typing. Apart from that, I feel I'm very close. I don't need to know about exposure, framing, focusing etc, I am well aware of how to film. The liveview issue is the only big issue for me right now (touch wood!)

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 28, 2018, 04:29:31 PMGood luck and don't forget to post some stunning videos on the forum!

Thank you! That is my goal! My next goal is to create a video that doesn't make Walter throw up in his mouth!

P.s Thank you for the clarification on the 1800x1008 resolution being changed dfort. To me that is confusing because if our goal is to shoot in crop mode at 2.5k for example (which my current build has a preset for), and then turning  "Movie crop mode" on which then reduces the resolution (albiet still high) then what is happening there, it still leaves confusion on how people are shooting in those resolutions without a half accurate liveview. That is another question that I doubt I will be able to find on the forum, and risk others becoming aggrivated. "Movie crop mode and the crop_rec module are two different animals." - This is an example of something I can research on in the forums imo and will do so. So you don't have to answer any questions. Thanks again for your time!

mvrck

C700d, if you get a small external HDMI monitor for your camera, you'll get accurate monitoring in 1:1 crop mode, without the issues you see with the built-in screen in LiveView. Also, try limiting the FPS to 24 (they seem to default to ~30) and lowering the bit depth for a more stable recording. The SD hack needs to be turned on, of course.