[WONTFIX] Request: override Auto ISO range

Started by joker97, April 15, 2014, 12:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joker97

Hi. Is it possible to override the factory auto ISO range. In most cameras it is a waste of time to override, but on the 5dMkIII (?6D too) ISO 51,200 is actually usable. [Better to have a shot than no picture right]

dubzeebass

dmilligan

These high ISOs are digital and are nothing different from an exposure boost in post with the exception of the potential for permanently loosing data (clipping highlights) since the boost is burned into the raw data. See here and here. Therefore it is always better not to use them (Unless you are shooting JPG, which is silly IMO, or H.264 video).

Marsu42

Quote from: dmilligan on April 15, 2014, 03:12:44 PM
Unless you are shooting JPG, which is silly IMO

I'd avoid such an evaluation, jpeg can make a lot of sense if short on card space (think travel) or you want to send the jpegs via wifi uplink to a newspaper or blog.

In principle, the built-in auto iso limit can be overridden with my auto_iso module (currently wip), I added an override function for the 5d2 challenged guys but it of course also works on 6d/5d3... though I admit atm it also clips @12800 since personally I don't use anything higher either.

dmilligan

Note the "IMO". That means I recognize that it is just my opinion.

Marsu42

Quote from: dmilligan on April 15, 2014, 07:00:10 PM
Note the "IMO". That means I recognize that it is just my opinion.

Sure, no offense meant, I just wanted you to inspire your opinion :-) and as a general note: using deprecating words even in conjunction with an expressed opinion might be not necessarily a good idea... even if I think all video guys are too dumb to do good stills. imho :->

Audionut

There is a big difference between expressing an opinion about a workflow (negative or otherwise), and expressing a negative opinion about a group of people.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on April 20, 2014, 04:31:19 AM
There is a big difference between expressing an opinion about a workflow (negative or otherwise), and expressing a negative opinion about a group of people.

Thanks for stepping in and the explanation, I figured you have no problem with dismissing particular kinds of workflows :-) ... but the point I was making above was on topic about the request and that high auto iso can make sense. But I see you have marked this as [WONTFIX], well, no matter, it's probably not one of the top requested items.

Audionut

These extremely high ISOs only make sense in extreme situations, that also include a lack of card space.  Want to take a guess at the percentage of users that would benefit, on a daily basis, from that development effort?

Since you seem to see the usefulness, I look forward to seeing it in your module.  Hopefully sometime this year  :P

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on April 21, 2014, 04:52:15 AM
Want to take a guess at the percentage of users that would benefit, on a daily basis, from that development effort?

Good question, as marking it as [WONTFIX] most likely won't generate any more input on this matter. I understand this [WONTFIX] means you personally won't fix it, or has a decision been made not to merge this feature in any case by the devs?

Quote from: Audionut on April 21, 2014, 04:52:15 AM
Since you seem to see the usefulness, I look forward to seeing it in your module.  Hopefully sometime this year :P

*Snigger*, yeah, I know me being busy in real life gets in the way. Do you think it would be best to cancel the effort to polish them from my "works for me stage" for merging (the last time auto_iso wasn't merged)? If we have arrived at the sarcasm stage maybe it would be for the best.

I hope you'll learn how to code sometime and put 1/10 of your forum effort into coding, ML will make a big leap ahead!