5d mark ll recording stops

Started by sshern007, April 17, 2014, 11:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshern007

Using Ml, not raw. SanDisk extreme 32gig. 24fps. Recording seems to randomly stop. I must be doing something simple wrong and don't see it.

dmilligan

sshern007

Ok
Shooting a live musical event with a rode external stereo mic.
24 fps. SanDisk extreme 32 gb cf.
The whole event was about 45 minutes. I ended up with 7 separate files to piece together because the recording stopped on it's own and I had to catch it doing so and manually restart recording.

ted ramasola

How long was your recording before it stops?
How long was each files?
did you activate auto restart?
to confirm, you are shooting native mov, correct?

Provide details if you want help.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

How high was the h264 bitrate?
We need detailed Camera Setting, there so many factors that can cause this .

sshern007

So I've experimented with several variations.
17 seconds to record stop
Tried ml raw
Movie restart on
Fps override 23.976
Modules that are on:
File_man
Mlv_play
Mlv_play
Mlv_play
Pic_view
Bit rate (cbr) 1.0x
Global draw live view
Cf card sandisk extreme 32 gb 120 mb/s udma 7
Installed nightly build

Is this enough to go on?

Yes, I tried recording as .mov too. I want to use raw if I can.

Thanks

sshern007

I got this off sandisk website if it is relevant.

The optimal combination of shot speed (up to 60MB/s), sustained video performance guarantee (VPG-20), and transfer speed (up to 120MB/s; 16GB - 128GB cards only.
Ideal for use with mid-range to high-end DSLR cameras and HD camcorders, the SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card delivers first-rate read/write speeds to catch fast action shots and enable quick file transfers. This memory card features Video Performance Guarantee (VPG-20) to deliver a minimum sustained recording data rate of 20MB/s to support high-quality Full HD video (1080p) recording. Take advantage of burst-mode photography with the card's write speeds of up to 60MB/s (400X) and enjoy efficient workflow with its transfer speeds up to 120MB/s (16GB - 128GB cards only). With capacities up to 128GB, this memory card provides plenty of storage for Full HD videos and RAW photos.
Up to 60MB/s write speed for premium shot-to-shot performance**
VPG-20 enabled for sustained 20MB/s video recording rate**
Capacities up to 128GB accommodate high-quality file formats**

reddeercity

I did a test with my 5D2 + Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 32GB, MLV/raw 1792x814 2.20:1 A.R. 23.976p + audio,  62.5MB/s buffer fill rate "0"
12,475 frames 8.6 minutes on full card. So with a 120MB/s Card you should get a little higher resolution .
But this is with Global Draw off when recording raw.
In fact if you what any length in raw with audio at large frame resolution leave GD off when recording raw.
For h264 I have 2.3xcbr with technicolor cinestyle Picture profile which give me 70 mb/s and with LandScape profile 83mb/s
You have limitation with that card,  recommend minimum is 1000x CF for stable Large frames resolution  raw recording on 5D2.

sshern007

I got it up to 30 seconds using your settings. Maybe it is the limitations of mycard.

reddeercity

Quote from: sshern007 on April 21, 2014, 02:01:54 AM
I got it up to 30 seconds using your settings. Maybe it is the limitations of mycard.
Reformat you card, and reinstall ML. If on a windows machine use the card reader and do a right click go to "tools"
and do a "Error-checking" if that Ok you can try 16kb allocation unit size instead of 32. I know on my 32GB 60MB/s Sandisk
I reformat to 16kb allocation unit size to get a faster stable write speed , I thinks 1600x800 (50MB/s write speed needed) or something like that.
After you reinstall start with a smaller size like 1600x800 23.976 or smaller until you get continuous then slowly increase the frame size,
plus play with you buffer fill rate. Usually 0 or 1 but 4 my also works.
Your card is faster so there must be a setting not right, in the canon menu I have my photos set to SRAW2 (2784x1856 5.2M) and no Jpegs.
But Yes you are limited that why its recommended to use a 1000x card, personal I have 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, 32GB, continuous at
1872x936 (older build Feb 16 no longer available after that date) or 1856x928 on newer builds.
You only need 4 Modules to get Raw video with audio,   5D2_212.sym, file_man.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo.

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on April 21, 2014, 03:17:37 AM
Reformat you card, and reinstall ML. If on a windows machine use the card reader and do a right click go to "tools"
and do a "Error-checking" if that Ok you can try 16kb allocation unit size instead of 32. I know on my 32GB 60MB/s Sandisk
I reformat to 16kb allocation unit size to get a faster stable write speed , I thinks 1600x800 (50MB/s write speed needed) or something like that.
After you reinstall start with a smaller size like 1600x800 23.976 or smaller until you get continuous then slowly increase the frame size,
plus play with you buffer fill rate. Usually 0 or 1 but 4 my also works.
Your card is faster so there must be a setting not right, in the canon menu I have my photos set to SRAW2 (2784x1856 5.2M) and no Jpegs.
But Yes you are limited that why its recommended to use a 1000x card, personal I have 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, 32GB, continuous at
1872x936 (older build Feb 16 no longer available after that date) or 1856x928 on newer builds.
You only need 4 Modules to get Raw video with audio,   5D2_212.sym, file_man.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo.

So let me sum up ML Raw, .RAW best output was Oct. 24th 2013, .MLV RAW best output was Feb. 15th that shows up as Feb. 16th 2014 and it's official ML has decide for standardize format is to 5D Mark II from continuous 1880x800 to 1872x936 now 1856x928. Do I have this round up right? So what does this mean for reaching toward closes possibility of FullHD, we will never have 1920x1080 24p but the closes is .RAW Oct.24th 2013 build? Reddeercity please give me your Oct 24th UP to DATE break down on RAW availability. I have a short and Pilot with 3 additional episode I will be filming in ML RAW next month so I will take my testing and your word on my best and worse case.   
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

@ dariSSight , MLV is changing all the time I think there is going to be a v3.0 soonner or later, and hopefully with the return of 1880 included but I'm not holding my breath on that thou. I would use what you are conformable with, and if that's oct24th with out audio then use it.
I don't what people to stop trying the latest builds as there are some real interesting stuff now.
But for Paid Work there cannot be a second of doubt and ever thing has to be rock solid and for me I choose to use the feb16 NB(but really feb15)MLV+Audio
with rock solid hdmi support for evf or recorders. At close to full HD at 2:1 1872x936 with about only 7-9% scaling or non at all. If you don't need audio then the v1.0 raw from Oct24th is still superior specially in Crop Mode at 2K (2048x930)  or  1:1 at (1872x1014,1856x1004) 1.85:1 A.R.
Because I need HDMI & Audio with raw and 1872x936 2:1 fills my needs just right I use MLV & Crop modes Ok but at a lack of performance you are
limited to 2048x872 2.35:1 23.976p. continuous  with audio thou .
I'm booked to film a Total Green Screen Music Video  and I plan on Using the feb16 NB because I need hdmi recorder for backup  I Know I will not have a Problem on Set.
I always error on the side of caution. ;)

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on April 21, 2014, 05:37:14 AM
@ dariSSight , MLV is changing all the time I think there is going to be a v3.0 soonner or later, and hopefully with the return of 1880 included but I'm not holding my breath on that thou. I would use what you are conformable with, and if that's oct24th with out audio then use it.
I don't what people to stop trying the latest builds as there are some real interesting stuff now.
But for Paid Work there cannot be a second of doubt and ever thing has to be rock solid and for me I choose to use the feb16 NB(but really feb15)MLV+Audio
with rock solid hdmi support for evf or recorders. At close to full HD at 2:1 1872x936 with about only 7-9% scaling or non at all. If you don't need audio then the v1.0 raw from Oct24th is still superior specially in Crop Mode at 2K (2048x930)  or  1:1 at (1872x1014,1856x1004) 1.85:1 A.R.
Because I need HDMI & Audio with raw and 1872x936 2:1 fills my needs just right I use MLV & Crop modes Ok but at a lack of performance you are
limited to 2048x872 2.35:1 23.976p. continuous  with audio thou .
I'm booked to film a Total Green Screen Music Video  and I plan on Using the feb16 NB because I need hdmi recorder for backup  I Know I will not have a Problem on Set.
I always error on the side of caution. ;)

THANKS for Your Quick response back one more question.
I will definitely keep using and testing new ML NB, I was just inquiring on stable on set builds and it seem we are on the same page. Now, your saying with Feb. 16th Build I can shoot at Aspect Ratio 2:1 1872x936 with MLV+Audio and only 7-9% upscaling to FullHD? Lastly have you use any of the new MLV converters and do you still stand by your workflow .RAW into RAWMagic output DNG to ACR output Tiff into FCPX? I've been very please using your workflow but just wanted to know do you stand behind this workflow even in the progress ML has made since you post last?
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

For bigger project I go to CDNG's to ACR with After Effect, (Pre-Grade) bring color to video legal color space(16-245) (high-light recover) 
then export to 32bit float ProRes4444 which will yield a 12bit Mov, you will lost a little bandwidth but that's why to burn in your adjustment
with A.E. and 99% time that's all you really need (no scaling leave that to fcpx) , and then editing is a breeze in FCPX, I'm on 10.1.1 and I love it, one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse and away I go . But if the project is small ,lets say 10 to 15 or more minute then I would by-pass ACR and directly
import as a Cdng image sequence and make your Compound Clip then work for there, that when I use Film Convert Pro and use the "Red One "
For Camera source and FJ film stock emulation or just grade it normally .Try and keep the Cdng sequence to about 2000 frames per compound clip,
or unless you are on a New ProMac with dual GPU's (I wish).
Tiff are to big to work and unless you are scaling to 4K there no need to weigh down the system resources as there are 3X larger.
FYI If you go to your Info tab on the Inspector window on your Cdng files in the Setting view and you can override the default color-space  from
Adobe RGB(1998) to rec709, sRGB or (601 EBU (pal) & 601 170m smpte (ntcs) SD color space).
I find this is the most effective way when you are under time constraints and have no time for file ingest problems or long watch periods.
I need quick turn around times and there is nothing faster at this quality level, but I have hi-hopes for  Drastic's MediaReactor with a direct MLV plugin
for FCPX there are working on.

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on April 21, 2014, 07:28:55 AM
For bigger project I go to CDNG's to ACR with After Effect, (Pre-Grade) bring color to video legal color space(16-245) (high-light recover) 
then export to 32bit float ProRes4444 which will yield a 12bit Mov, you will lost a little bandwidth but that's why to burn in your adjustment
with A.E. and 99% time that's all you really need (no scaling leave that to fcpx) , and then editing is a breeze in FCPX, I'm on 10.1.1 and I love it, one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse and away I go . But if the project is small ,lets say 10 to 15 or more minute then I would by-pass ACR and directly
import as a Cdng image sequence and make your Compound Clip then work for there, that when I use Film Convert Pro and use the "Red One "
For Camera source and FJ film stock emulation or just grade it normally .Try and keep the Cdng sequence to about 2000 frames per compound clip,
or unless you are on a New ProMac with dual GPU's (I wish).
Tiff are to big to work and unless you are scaling to 4K there no need to weigh down the system resources as there are 3X larger.
FYI If you go to your Info tab on the Inspector window on your Cdng files in the Setting view and you can override the default color-space  from
Adobe RGB(1998) to rec709, sRGB or (601 EBU (pal) & 601 170m smpte (ntcs) SD color space).
I find this is the most effective way when you are under time constraints and have no time for file ingest problems or long watch periods.
I need quick turn around times and there is nothing faster at this quality level, but I have hi-hopes for  Drastic's MediaReactor with a direct MLV plugin
for FCPX there are working on.

Thanks for the info
Can you please explain your Pre-Grade method in afterEffect(do you mean your image filter choice)? Also I'm working on Mac so can you explain the Inspector Menu option, is that in the finder option of the file?
Canon 5D Mark II

sshern007

I will do as instructed and report back. Komputerbay 128 gb card is also on the way (1000). USB 3.0 card reader also on the way.
Thanks!

reddeercity

@sshern007 Glad to help you are on the right track  :)

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight on April 21, 2014, 02:22:31 PM
Thanks for the info
Can you please explain your Pre-Grade method in afterEffect(do you mean your image filter choice)? Also I'm working on Mac so can you explain the Inspector Menu option, is that in the finder option of the file?
No it not a filter I just use ACR, hi-light recovery bring up shadow detail, lighten or darken the mids, play with the Primary Color etc..... basic raw image adjustment.
pre-grade to get a perfect Balance image within the HD color space (Rec709 with a d65 white point 16-235) where RGB are at equal level .
Then "burn in" the look, export to prores, edit and grade in fcpx etc... it can take a little time but in the end you will have a quicker and more enjoyable time editing.
The color space option is in Final Cut Pro X itself under the setting option tab in the Inspector window.

sshern007

Should I reformat using the camera or on the card reader as a fat 32 formatting?
Also, have you ever worked with Komputerbay products? I have a 64gig that warns me (on the little case it came in) to only use UDMA 7 compatible readers.

thanks

sshern007

Sorry, I just discovered there is a lot of Komputerbay discussion available. I'll look  through the threads unless you have keen insight... thanks