SanDisk Extreme Card Details

Started by HamboDeluxe, April 23, 2014, 07:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamboDeluxe

I'm about to DL the magic lantern for 5Dm3 for Raw use.

I have a SanDisk Extreme 32 GB card that says 120 MB/s. - Is this card useable for Raw?

Also, if I put the hack on the card and it doesn't work, can I take it off?

Total noob questions I know.

MGerard

Is the card you're talking about a SD card or a CF card? In any case, the card will very likely not be suitable for sustained 1080p capture. CF cards, in general, perform better at the same writing speed indicated. If the hack doesn't work out for you, you can always remove the card and work with the standard firmware. Regards.

poromaa

I believe Sandisk 120MB/s cards only writes at 60MB/s. I just tried one of their Extreme Pro 100MB/s* cards (that claim to write at speeds up to 100MB/s, however I only get about 60-65MB/s which is not enough for max resolution recording on my 5Dmk2.
I will try to get hold of a Sandisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s (their fastest with write-speed up to 150MB/s) today. This card has something they call VPG65 which means video performance guaranteed at min 65MB/s, so I believe this will max out my camera.

I will come back to this thread to report my findings.

MGerard

Quote from: poromaa on April 23, 2014, 08:51:31 AM

I will try to get hold of a Sandisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s (their fastest with write-speed up to 150MB/s) today. This card has something they call VPG65 which means video performance guaranteed at min 65MB/s, so I believe this will max out my camera.

I will come back to this thread to report my findings.

As reported on some other threads on this forum, I am using these cards with my 5D3 and they are capable of writing speeds between 80-105 MB/sec. You won't be disappointed by the performance of these CF cards.

poromaa

Ok, I can now confirm that this new Sandisk 160MB/s (1067x) gives me about 16s MLV + 48khz audio in 16:9 (1856x1044).
I also get continuous @ 2:1 (1856x948) + 48khz sound and below. Nice. (The old Transcend 64BG 1000x barely gave me continuous @2.20:1).

This card seem to never drop under 70M/s. I will do some more testing, but guess my 5Dmk2 is the bottle neck here.

yay!