Advantages of Bleeding Edge

Started by psuarez, April 15, 2014, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psuarez

What are the differences between ML for 1.1.3 and the bleeding edge for 1.2.3?.  Maybe I'm not searching the forum right but I cannot find an answer.  So far I had been running 1.1.3 with no problems and decided to try 1.2.3 and it's also working ok (haven't used it long enough though).  I use an external monitor most of the time and it seems to work ok except I get no ML info on the screens (no global draw) when mirroring on.  If I turn mirroring off I get nothing in either monitor.  Any info would be appreciated.  What are the advantages of the ML team working on firmware 1.2.3?.  In the mean time I'm going back to 1.1.3 

Stedda

The difference is the ability to run Canon firmware 1.2.3 or not and downgrade to 1.1.3 pick the download that matches the camera firmware you run.

1.2.3 may have slightly more bugs since its newer but I haven't run into any issues myself. I dont run an external monitor so cant help ya there.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

psuarez

Thanks Stedda.  Other that the monitor out quirk, it seems to be running fine too for me.  I need to be able to get signal out of my Mk3 because of convenience in operating the camera and client monitors also.  1.1.3 will do fine for now until 1.2.3 gets up to speed.  Thanks again.

Audionut

The main advantage, is being able to run Canon firmware 1.2.3.  Since this gives some advantages over 1.1.3.

Midphase

The main advantages that 1.2.3 gives is the ability to record (allegedly) uncompressed clean HDMI out for use with an external recorder. For .raw uses, this is kinda meaningless unless you're planning on recording a back up pro-res video as proxy. Other advantages of 1.2.3 include the inability to correctly display 3rd party battery charge information.

VisualPursuit

Also, for those shooting stills as well, 1.2.3 fixes the AFMA bug
that was there in 1.1.3.

chmee

not to forget, there was an official 1.2.1-patch. these bugfixes were important as well.. (for the body, not for ml)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

psuarez

Thank you guys for all the responses.  I'm a DP and use this camera in video mode for 99% of the time. I'm interested mostly in it's video shooting capabilities.  A monitor out is of great importance to my general workflow and 1.1.3 is working for me.  Although a clean HDMI out would be something that I will welcome whole heartedly, the fact that with 1.2.3 the global draw seems to be buggy still, will make me wait until a more advanced iteration of 1.2.3. I did read of another post that someone was having success at global draw by changing the frame rate to 24p on the hdmi out.  Will have to test that. Again, this forum is an invaluable tool and I thank you all involved for it.

psuarez

I see that 1.2.3 is no more "bleeding edge".  Hmmm.  I guess is stable enough now.  I wonder when 1.1.3 will stop being developed and 1.2.3 will be the only one getting nightly builds?.  So exciting.

Midphase

As also a member of the Hackintosh community, the saying over there goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I think this applies very well to using ML. Right now I am getting consistently solid performance from ML running on 1.1.3. The builds are so stable, and everything working so well that (with the help of a new upcoming app) I have begun recommending it to my colleagues as a mature solution for professional production. While 1.2.3 might seem like a necessary leap forward, I remain cautious about upgrading. If there are no obvious advantages to be had (such as faster CF card write speed, smaller memory print that leaves more buffer available to ML, more efficient use of CPU which yields more stable GD, better thermal protection, optimized battery usage, you get the idea), then I prefer to stick with the tenet mentioned at the beginning of my post. Even if the developers assured me that 1.2.3 is 100% as solid as 1.1.3, I would still question the need to update without specific advantages to my workflow.

Of course, others have different needs and might disagree with my conservative advice. However I would caution to not succumb to the "grass is always greener..." fallacy and to obtain factual data before taking the leap.

Audionut

I don't think NASA had factual data about landing on the moon.  But they still did it  ;)

ML is open source software, so there's only really one way that the software becomes stable.  And that is by having people test, test, and test, new features.  This is how new features are implemented.  Discussion, coding, testing, reporting, bug fixing/enhancing, more testing.

Not to mention, that the changelog from 1.1.3 to 1.2.3 contains significant updates.

• Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
  • Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
  • Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
  • Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
  • Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
  • When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "O" will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "X" will be displayed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
  • Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the "Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO" option.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the connected Speedlite may not occasionally fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may accidentally change.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false colour along boundaries of high contrast.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
  • Enables the brightness of the camera's LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.