Vote your 5 desired features for upcoming Canon FF camera

Started by Nautilus, April 13, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nautilus

As title says, rumors suggest that we'll soon see a new FF camera from Canon (possible 5D Mark IV) in response to new 4K capable Sony A7 and Panasonic GH4 . Please vote the top 5 features that you'd like to see implemented in upcoming Canon product.

Please note that this poll was made merely for entertainment.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Walter Schulz

Faster SD&CF controller: Doesn't make that much sense. Canon should get rid of those ancient technologies (CF is limited to 167 MByte/s) and switch to CFast/XQD or else.

Andy600

4K is being pushed hard now but while I've been very impressed by the level of detail from the GH4 and A7 on wide, static shots and portrait tests (Driftwood's latest GH4 tests come to mind), I dunno. There is something about 4K in motion that is as distracting to me as 48fps. 4K does gain a lot of detail but at the same time it loses something of the 'unreal'. I'll probably change my mind when everything I see online and on TV is 4K and my humble 1080p raw-shot videos are suddenly 'mush' but I still need some convincing. 4K for cinema and nature docs yes! 4K for run-n-gun, indie film making, not so sure....yet. One thing is certain, there will be a lot of poorly shot but highly detailed 'crap' clogging up Youtube and Vimeo soon, as opposed to the less detailed HD crap we're  used to

As for new features from Canon, I would quite like to see in-body stabilization (but Canon won't do it because it will hurt their lens business), Prores 4:4:2 in all DSLRs, but most of all, faster media writing and 120fps 1080p. Officially supporting and helping ML would be the biggest thing I would wish for. That would get my attention more than 4K moving stills.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

reddeercity

I think 4k is overrated far to much, its great to work with or to master to 1080p but in reality the cost to broadcast 4k content is still to expensive even on the internet
the bandwidth requirement's are very high. I like what the GH4 is possible of doing with the SDI module attachment. Now if Canon had a device like that
there would be on top again. For me only 3 thinks, 1080p Raw, 60 or 120 fps and proper intermediate codec like ProRes 4444.

Audionut

16bit processing
Quiet downstream electronics
More megapickels
12 fps capture
Direct collaboration between Canon and ML.  Including full codebase and technical documents.

dmilligan

Just cheap, like less than $1k. That's the only way I could get one. Anything else would be gravy.

Monsanto

4k is overrated. Yes it does help but 1080p with a high bit depth and higher fps is more important than 4K with a wimpy 8/10 bit codec :(. This new camera also needs some type of heat dispersion since Canon DSLR's that shoot RAW heat up after 15mins and lead to ugly noise. Must have uncompressed HDMI out or utilize 3GSDI out to get a better codec with something like Atomos or Gemini.

Marsu42

Other: drop video and release a cheaper stills-only camera :->

tron

Other:

1. THE OBVIOUS: Lower Noise / Increased DR.
2. Exposure Compensation with Auto ISO in Manual Mode (Just like 1Dx)
3. Minimum shutter 1/8000 (instead of current 1/250)  in Auto ISO Manual Mode (Just like 1Dx)
4. 8fps

tron

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 26, 2014, 02:06:45 AM
Other: drop video and release a cheaper stills-only camera :->
+1 but (almost) 1Dx like fast with very low noise and huge DR  :)