Does Raw work on steadicam monitor?

Started by SwaggyP, April 13, 2014, 07:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwaggyP

Hi guys. I plan on shooting a steadicam shot with my canon 5D mark 3 using magic lantern Raw. My only concern is will my steadicam op be able to output and view on his steadicam monitor while following our subject? I heard if you try to output to an external with raw there will be dropped frames and you will have problems. Please let me know if it is feasible and if there are any suggestions to help solve my problem that would be great, thanks!

Midphase

My advice is that before any type of critical shoot, you run a bunch of tests. For a production where we used the ML raw extensively, we were testing for about a month prior to the shoot to make sure there'd be no surprises.

MGerard

No problem here with recording raw with an external monitor (SmallHD DP4) attached via hdmi. Sometimes I'm even running 2 monitors (one larger for the director) in tandem, still no problems. The one thing you won't be able to do is properly display the 3x sensor crop on an external monitor. Also, use the fastest CF cards that fit your budget for trouble-free recording, especially on 128 GB + cards. I had no luck going 1080p on Komputerbay 128 GB... and eventually, Midphase is right, the safest thing is to test it out for yourself!

SwaggyP

Cool, thanks you guys, will give it a shot and do some tests!