6D: Can RAW video mode be used to record in crop mode? (like 600D)

Started by thunder storm, April 12, 2014, 02:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunder storm

That says: to record the maximum possible resolution at the moment, but from the center of the sensor (just like the 600D do), and by that avoid all moire and aliasing problems?

If the answer is YES - Is it also possible to shoot full-HD crop video from the center of the sensor with the normal Canon compression? (Immitate my beloved 600D mode...)

Thanks in advance

rainless

I get where you're going with this... you want to be able to record in h.264 using crop mode to avoid the moire thing...

But if you're using crop mode anyway... then why not just record in raw?
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

thunder storm

Quote from: rainless on April 13, 2014, 11:48:25 PM
But if you're using crop mode anyway... then why not just record in raw?

Because I talk about the 6D which doesn't have the crop-video mode like the 600D and the 70D. (for obvious marketing reasons)

Because when you record RAW video, magic lantern will only crop from whatever 1920x1080 the canon firmware is streaming - In my 6D the max would be 900x500 out of that. That's not the 1:1 sensor crop I was talking about. There will still be the same ugly moire and aliasing in the video.

If ML does actually record the video from the CENTER of the sensor, just like canon's Digital zoom mode on the 600D/70D, then it's revolutionary! And then it would be useful if I could record H264 out of that, so I can achieve the full-hd resolution.

To summarize = I would like ML to be able to imitate the excellent digital zoom mode of the 600D/70D that get rids of ALL the video artifacts.

rainless

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

KelvinK

What are you talking about? 6D raw crop mode works just fine, I don't see any artifacts in this video

and as author said, all closeups were done in crop mode. And def this is no 900x600 resolution in my eyes.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!