Premiere Pro Workflow, Possible Now?

Started by sletts02, April 12, 2014, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sletts02

I have been out of the ML game for a while and trying to play catch up now.

Is it possible to import ML DNG straight in to Premiere Pro CC? I gave it a go tonight and I received pink tint.  The playback was silky smooth which was awesome, but unfortunately not usable due to the tint. I assume this is to Premiere Pro having CUDA support?

Also, is there a reason why AE CC would be tediously slow in previewing/exporting, is it because it does not have CUDA support?

Here is a reference frame to explain what is happening:

PressureFM

I believe CDNG support will come to Adobe CC in June.

sletts02

Quote from: PressureFM on April 12, 2014, 01:13:55 PM
I believe CDNG support will come to Adobe CC in June.

Not sure about that but after much more trial and error combined with some reading the culprit seems to be:

CDNG app - select CDNG 16bit Maximised & delta pink highlights seems to do the trick (trying it on another file now, but it's 30gb so it's taking a wee bit of time).

If I import it in to Premiere do I lose ACR editing capabilities though?

chmee

in premiere there is no acr, but(!) the cdng's with debiased and maximized valuerange are working with acr and other applications as well. the pink-highlight-fix is working (only with maximized-attribute!), but this is not a good idea if you're working with acr fi. Hope, adobe will do the update asap.

premiere does not read 14bit dng's (by now, and i think it won't in the next time) and looks awful with the canon-typical valuerange. AE is slow because its a compositing software with way more variables to define/create a picture.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

PressureFM

I'm simply referring to this from Adobe announced at NAB '14.

What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud.

It specifically says
QuoteExpanded native format support now also includes ARRI Amira, Sony STtP, and compressed lossless Cinema DNG from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera.

And some murmuring about how it would help out the current situation with Magic Lantern ... perhaps.

chmee

a tech from adobe just wrote the important points into the cinemadng-thread.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.msg110146#msg110146
(ff)

the better ml-ability is a positive sideffect, but never meant as an official support.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

PressureFM

Quote from: chmee on April 12, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
a tech from adobe just wrote the important points into the cinemadng-thread.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.msg110146#msg110146
(ff)

the better ml-ability is a positive sideffect, but never meant as an official support.

regards chmee

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Will definitely follow that thread :D

Midphase

If you're on the Mac, there is a pleasant surprise for you in the near future. Full working CDNG with perfect looking footage in Premiere Pro!

sletts02

That clears it up mostly, thanks for the great responses.

One last question: Is there any way to use ACR to grade, but use CUDA to speed up the process. Resolve is super fast, but I find it not as good as ACR for my line of work.

Walter Schulz

AFAIK there is no CUDA support in ACR/Lightroom.