Why is my new mac not coping when playing back ML files in premiere?

Started by thomas.stockwell, April 04, 2014, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas.stockwell

Hey guys and girls,

I have a problem and i dont know where to go.

I have a new imac (32gb 1600 ddr3 ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, 3.5ghz i7).

I have installed Ginger HDR, and can import my .raw's directly into premiere cc for editing.
(The raws are 1920x1080 23.976fps).

When i try and playback, i get about 3 seconds of smooth playback, then followed by jumpy annoying playback.

I have tried to change the playback resolution from full to half to quarter, and i dont get much difference at all.
I have also looked at my rendering settings, and toggled between CUDA and OpenCL and software only, and still no difference.

The source file is on my desktop, so its not coming from a slower external drive. The scratch disks is just my mac hard drive.

Now, am i just expecting too much from my mac? Or am i missing something here.
Is this workflow more taxing on the computer then other work flows?

Would love any input or help from others, i don't know what else to do!

Thanks,

Thomas

Midphase

Well, one of the other options would be to convert the raw files to CDNG and then bring them into Premiere and edit with them.

reddeercity

Yes your hardware can't handle it. Do you have a spindle drive for the OS or a SSD ? You should have all your working file on the fastest drive (not you OS drive) if you have a external SSD on Thunderbolt/USB3.0 that would help. You may need to work with proxies then render out with original files. If it's in your budget I would look at a external raid"0" box with thunderbolt.
Lacie have some good info, link:  http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10573%5D 
Or a Fusion Drive.

chmee

if ginger converts to kind of jpg or tiff, i assume, the datarate(tiff) resp. decompression-load(jpg) is too high. please try directly with cdng.

1920x1080@24fps

cdng ->  ~85MB/sec.
tiff -> ~145MB/sec.
jpg -> ontheFly-convert to bitmap (gpu or cpu?) 
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

mageye

Do you have latest CUDA drivers installed?

I have:

CUDA Driver Version: 5.5.47

GPU Driver Version: 8.24.9 310.40.25f01

and do you have the GPU acceleration setup within After Effects and Premiere?

It made a difference to me when I edited the appropriate text files.

I have probably half the hardware specs that you have and must say that my performance is not excellent but it's usable.

This guy goes through a way of enabling the GPU acceleration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nUuHzxv-U
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

thomas.stockwell

Quote from: Midphase on April 04, 2014, 06:44:38 AM
Well, one of the other options would be to convert the raw files to CDNG and then bring them into Premiere and edit with them.

Great, ill have to give this a try. whats the best CDNG converter? I could only see one for windows?

Once they are converted, do you lose the dynamic range capabilities?
does PP/color need to be done previous to this step?

At the moment I have a fusion drive, but I dont know how to separate it from the storage drives for use like that?

Thanks for the links and help - any answers for the above questions?

thomas.stockwell

Quote from: reddeercity on April 04, 2014, 08:03:55 AM
Yes your hardware can't handle it. Do you have a spindle drive for the OS or a SSD ? You should have all your working file on the fastest drive (not you OS drive) if you have a external SSD on Thunderbolt/USB3.0 that would help. You may need to work with proxies then render out with original files. If it's in your budget I would look at a external raid"0" box with thunderbolt.
Lacie have some good info, link:  http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10573%5D 
Or a Fusion Drive.

I have a fusion drive already? And this is what confuses me.
When i run the BM Speed test (target drive desktop - where the problem files are located) i get 310mb write speed, and 630mb read speed.

any other ideas? Its got me stumped.

reddeercity

Well with the fusion drive you shouldn't have a problem.
There was new update for all adobe CC products make sure it's up to date.
I just check my setting in Premiere Pro CC on the my MacPro.
In Memory "Preferences" Where is says "RAM reserved for other applications"
set this to minimum or 3GB if 16 installed and next to the "Optimize rendering for"
set this to "Performance" . Also check under "Preferences" "Media"
Media Cache check the "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible"
Clean the Media Cache Database also & of course make sure your project & media all have the same
frame rate. Maybe also check your debayering setting for ginger as this could slow you down a lot.
http://19lights.com/wp/tutorials/raw-and-cinemadng-wrapper-workflow/
Here link to Ginger, maybe refresh your self with it to see if all your setting are correct.
I don't use this workflow so that's about all I can help with. I use Cdng-->A.E. ACR, 32bit float ProRes4444--->FCPX, for large projects
and CDNG's-->FCPX for small projects as image sequence. :)

Edit: Ginger HDR Project is closed as of Feb,28/2014 read the link below, so you mite what to look at a difference workflow.
http://19lights.com/wp/blog/

Michael Zöller

You really should not do the de-bayering in realtime. Convert the MLV video to some intermediate codec and work from there.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40