mlv_rec problem? Not blacklevel? [black takes]

Started by djordjevla, April 11, 2014, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djordjevla

Hello everyone.
Like @g3gg0 said me in one of the topics, I opened this new topic about my problem.

I really don't know what the problem is about. I am really new to this forum, so please help me if you can somehow.

My problem is this:
http://s3.postimg.org/shtaimhg3/image.jpg

I filmed my exam film for academy in 5D MK III raw and about 15 of my takes are like this. I really need some of them.
So if somebody know how to fix it, please help me.  Informaton like "Use HexEditor" are not helpful for me :(

Also, here you can download one of DNG files so if you can, you can try to fix it...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zrtryx

Thanks in advance,
Djordje Stojiljkovic

a1ex

Upload a DNG file obtained with raw2dng or mlv_dump.

djordjevla

This is DNG file taken from DNG2CRAW extracted folder.

g3gg0

please follow alex' instructions ;)

1. which module did you use? you wrote that you have .raw files and this topic says mlv
2. if mlv, please dump the first few hundred lines using "mlv_dump -v <file.mlv>"
3. dump some frames using "mlv_dump --dng -f 1-2 <file.mlv>" or using "raw2dng <file.raw>"
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

djordjevla

Ou sorry :). I really don't know too much about this...

I didn't use MLV_rec, I've used raw_rec.modul.
What should I do?

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

a1ex

spnsir

I just shot an event last night on my 5d3 and this same thing happened. I have been shooting raw for months now without this problem.. About every fourth or fifth take had the same issue. I'll upload a raw via raw2dng very shortly. No settings were changed last night. Was shooting on magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr09.5D3113.zip

chmee

this file above was made with raw2cdng(!) not raw2dng.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

g3gg0

@djordjevla:
you wrote once:

Quote from: djordjevla on April 11, 2014, 03:23:37 PM
Quote from: reddeercity on April 11, 2014, 05:44:35 AM
change the black level with exiftool "type exiftool -BlackLevel=2048 *.dng
but I not sure what your black level should be on 5d3.
I really tried everything and I am not so good to do anything with HEX Editor.
I have also tried to change it in Exiftool, like you wrote, but I got that error, too....
Is there any help for me?? I have some really important takes which I need to be returned :(

and i still bet that this will work.
try once again with that .dng that you get with raw2dng

@spnsir:
try that exiftool hint

spnsir

Exiftool black level shows up as 4049. Running that command "exiftool -BlackLevel=2048 *.dng" fixes it and the image looks normal again. Awesome!

Now, any ideas as to why this has started happening? I noticed one thing I had different last night was an extra module enabled, pic_view

rainless

Quote from: spnsir on April 13, 2014, 08:08:37 PM
Exiftool black level shows up as 4049. Running that command "exiftool -BlackLevel=2048 *.dng" fixes it and the image looks normal again. Awesome!

Now, any ideas as to why this has started happening? I noticed one thing I had different last night was an extra module enabled, pic_view

I doubt it's that. I think the problem is the program that you used to convert the raw to dngs the first time around.

Could also have been the version of ML you were using (as there was a problem with the default black level being off a week or two ago.)
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

chmee

it seems, he used my converter. BUT its the first issue in this way i've heard. looking into the tags, all is quite ok. 16bit debiased/maximized to 0-65535

@djordjevla
please tell
converter-app and version
AND
modell - ML-Firmware Version (date?)

regards chmee

spnsir

Quote from: rainless on April 13, 2014, 10:58:07 PM
I doubt it's that. I think the problem is the program that you used to convert the raw to dngs the first time around.

Could also have been the version of ML you were using (as there was a problem with the default black level being off a week or two ago.)

Yes, I used this ML version (first time using it having previously used various nightlies without issue): magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr09.5D3113.zip

Also, it wasn't the converting app. The video playback (in-camera while I was shooting the event) showed the incorrect black level, but this did not occur in all the clips I shot, only about 5-10% of clips it seems and I couldn't figure out why that was happening. I will update ML and if the issue persists on my next shoot I will reply to this thread.

g3gg0

There is a race condition in which the black levels are not correctly calculated yet when ML is reading and storing them in the raw rec info struct.
You can set them to 1024 or 2048 depending on your camera and video settings.
5D3 for example always has 2048 as far I can tell. A 5D2 also has 1024 sometimes.

You might autodetect it in your tool and warn if its too far off.
MLV format tells you the camera name and id. For raw rec you could provide a drop down selection.
This way a user could correct it during conversion if he gets such errors.

rainless

Quote from: chmee on April 13, 2014, 11:29:52 PM
it seems, he used my converter. BUT its the first issue in this way i've heard. looking into the tags, all is quite ok. 16bit debiased/maximized to 0-65535

@djordjevla
please tell
converter-app and version
AND
modell - ML-Firmware Version (date?)

regards chmee

which converter is yours? I thought you were the raw2cdng guy...
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

chmee

:D i am. the filename and the tiftags look as its from raw2cdng.

djordjevla

I've used

raw2cdng.1.4.9.7

About firmware, I am not so sure, dute to the fact it was his hdslr.
I'll ask him asap.

rainless

Wait a minute... what's an "h"dslr?

Why does it seem like everyone's throwing me curveballs today... :)

djordjevla

djordjevla

Did anyone have any success with this frame?

I am very afraid of the fact that these black frames can't be returned?

g3gg0

spnsir

Quote from: djordjevla on April 16, 2014, 10:28:12 PM
Did anyone have any success with this frame?

I am very afraid of the fact that these black frames can't be returned?

I had the exact same problem and following the posts in this thread fixed it for me. Look at my posts in this thread and the responses and it should work for you. Thanks @g3gg0 and everyone for the quick help

g3gg0

djordjevla

djordjevla

Any help now?
My director wants to kill me.....

djordjevla

Ok, I uploaded my .dng file few posts above, so you can try to do something if you can.
I really tried everything and I couldn't change blacklevel....

Can you try pls and if works-upload repaired file?

Thanks in advance!

g3gg0

how often do you want us to say this?
Change black level using exiftool.

If something doesn't work, post the error message and don't just say you tried everything.

djordjevla

Ok, I have success with this file above and it works (earlier I had some problems and didn't want to change it).
But now, second problem.... In first file BlackLevel was about 8000, and i changed it on 2048 and it works.

Now I have problem with another file.
Take a look at this:

You can download file here:
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/gFyuP3znsVnIMLLFUT9DaA

g3gg0

would you mind testing it with RAW2DNG and EXIFTOOL as already explained?

domisol

I had the blacklevel problem a few days ago and the exiftool command solved it all.
Thanks very much.

Jean-David

domisol

I had the blacklevel problem a few days ago and the exiftool command solved it all.
Thanks very much.

Jean-David