Viewing MLV metadata in Windows

Started by COmputoman, April 10, 2014, 11:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COmputoman

Hello,
I have a quick question and I will try and keep it short and simple. I am basically trying to find the easiest way to view the metadata included with the MLV files from ML.

Here is a very short overview of how I shoot.
When I first start shooting raw on my 5D iii in Jan/14 I was shooing in the regular .Raw module included in ML. Since then I have started shooting with .MLV — which to my understanding is eventually supposed to be the standard once all of the bugs have been worked out. I seem to be having no issues and am very happy with the results on my Lexar 1000x.

One thing that I instantly noticed when moving over to MLV: The video play back through this program https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/overview seems to be flawless. The quality of the video is spectacular and the playback speed is in real time. Also, the program has a very simple, albeit limiting, color grading tool and it exports files to .mov quickly. This changed my perspective on the workflow of my raw files and has now made me consider shooting Raw in ML a "practical workflow" since I can review my clips instantly and pick out the ones that I want. Before I was exporting to DNG and then compiling the clip into After Effects before being able to review a clip in real time. When I was previously shooting in .raw I was attempting to use this program http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0 to view my files and it was extremely choppy, slow, and low quality.

With that being said, my question is: What is the quickest way to view the Metadata that is saved into the .MLVs? The program stated in the latter is super choppy, but does show that matadata, however, the MLRAWviewer program does not show the metadata. Excuse me if this is a super simple question. Hopefully in that case it should be a simple answer :).

Thanks guys, I am beyond excited about all of the new things that I can do with the 5D iii, the results are amazing me the more and more I shoot and it really makes this camera stack up against the much more expensive competition.

g3gg0

i just tried to hack a PropertyHandler for windows 7 and later, but i couldnt get it to work.
this way you would have such fields in explorer view.

anyone else want to try?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

jose_ugs

g3gg0

so find someone who is able to code such a explorer plugin ;)

the old "ColumHandler" only worked with Windows <= XP, the new system is property based.
as i am no fan of COM programming, i wasnt able to hack this within 2 hours.

find someone who is able to add such dummy property handler, i will add the MLV specific stuff then.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

jose_ugs

I know a Windows guy, will ask tomorrow

jose_ugs

My guy's too damn busy :( Cant help right now...

jose_ugs

Just contacted a friend of mine and he's willing to help on this one. I'll let you know how it goes from here...
@g3gg0, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdHJraTVTOEpmNEIwTVlKd0dHVi1ULUE#gid=0 this should be enough for him, right?

g3gg0

cant access google docs from office, but if thats the structure description, then yes.
tell him that the interesting metadata is in first few blocks, so he has just to scan until the first VIDF block.

also point him to the MLV thread where i also explained the header and there:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/modules/mlv_rec/mlv.h?at=unified

all headers share the same basic structure which contains TYPE, SIZE and TIMESTAMP.
so he just has to advance until he gets a block with interesting metadata or - as exit criteria - until a VIDF